1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer, Yamaha or Denon Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by origbow1, Apr 13, 2005.

1. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently completed my purchase of my Kef 2005 7.1 Speakers, along with my Pioneer 575 MR DVD player. Very happy with them indeed. :D I am now looking to add my amp to move into the full Home Cinema world as they say, and have narrowed my field of choices to the following receivers:-

a) Pioneer 2014i
    b) Pioneer AX5ai
    c) Yamaha RX-V1500
    d) Yamaha RX-V2500
    e) Denon 2805

I am really looking for a good match to my Kef speakers...will be auditioning the Pioneer's this weekend hopefully so after some advice from you guys and girls. In terms of money my max spend is about £800, but looking to be under this level.

I will be upgrading this amp next year to a flagship model as part of a major upgrade with a plasma and possibly Sky HD so hence not going for top spec/price now.

The Pioneer 2014i is exceedingly tempting from Peter Tyson at £449...don't think Hyperfi have any left at £399 :thumbsdow The AX5ai has had great feedback but is at the top of my price range (best price I've seen is £765 UK, or £730 Germany). I've always liked Yamaha amps, and my friend has a 1500 which just sounds lovely.

So looking to narrow the field a little....look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Peter

2. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, visited my local RS today and they have the Pioneer 2014i for £499, but will match the price of Peter Tyson so that's great news. :clap: Still going to get demo's though of all the receivers mentioned.

Any thoughts from the Forum?

Peter

3. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Krish av have got the rxv2500 for £629, just bought one and it's good but I don't know if it's better than my old dspa2 - it is 7.1 though and has a tuner.

stu

4. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can get a Denon 3805 for £799 at a number of outlets.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMHO, all of those amps are overkill for the KEF's. Especicially if you are upgrading next year.

6. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry T2,

I would probably tend to agree a little, so have also been looking at a Yamaha 750 also (349 from RS). However, it is a balancing act on features, sound quality and the return on my investment/value for money. What's the thoughts on this Yammy with my Kef's?

Stu mcc - That's a great UK price...If I go for the Yamaha 2500 I will more than likely get it from Germany for about 530. Let me know what it's like, early thoughts, frustrations etc?

Ilandellijack - The Denon 3805 is a great amp, but is at the top end of my range and I feel I can do better on the value for money side. However, I'm likely to be looking at Denon for my Flagship Amp in 15-18 Months.

Really appreciate your feedback so far - all helpful in my decission process

Peter

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry T2

Thanks for that thread link...some good stuff in there. Just had a read of the review of the Pioneer VSX-AX5ai in Home Cinema Choice Mag...very positive all round (4.5/5 Stars). So still a little undecided. FUrther investigation /demo's required..

Peter

9. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They are all excellent amps - you will be happy with any of them.

Unless these amps have features that are not included in a lesser model, my concern is that the better quality amplification will be "lost" on the KEF's.

10. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree they are all excellent amps. I also sort of understand by what you mean in terms of the better amplification being "lost". I would need to upgrade my speakers to truely appreciate this higher quality soundstage.

Hence, I am now adding the Yamaha 750 or Yamaha 757 onto my shortlist. I am pretty sure that I will rule out the Pioneer AX5ai as I will get a flagship amp next year with the higher quality sound/amplification, so will save some money for better speaker leads and interconnects (any recommendations for the Kef's btw?)

I have sorted a demo of the 2014i tomorrow, and also a Yamaha 750 (possibly a 757 too!). I may be able to hear a 1500/2500 as well, but we see how much time I have left over the weekend.

A note on the Yamaha 757 - I've had a chat with Yamaha UK and they have said it is UK tuned. Main differences are 5W Power Gain per channel, and the YPAO is a second generation with some improvements (don't know how much though!) Rest is still pretty much the same as the Yamaha 750.

Peter

11. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I demo'd the two Pioneer's, the Denon and the two Yamaha's over the weekend. Significantly while I there is an improvement from the AX5Ai over the 2014i I can't justify the additional cost on value for money terms.
    I quite liked the Denon 2805, but for me my choices have now been narrowed down to the Pioneer 2014i; the Yamaha 1500 and the Yamaha 2500. Of the two Yamaha's, I prefer the 2500 as it has a little more flexibility along with the lovely GUI!
    The Pioneer 2014i also sounded great, and I now have an even greater conumdrum as I can get the Pio 2014i for £419 + del :D That is superb value for money for that spec of amp.
    Coarsely, I can get the Yamaha 1500 for £420 +del and the Yamaha 2500 for £490 + del from Germany (TSN) which again is fantastic value for money.

So given the choice what would you recommend.....tough choice this as I like both amps?

Oh, and here's a curve ball...had a look at the new Yamaha RX-V4600 just announced in the US (they might rename it here when launched - probably Autumn) and that is very very nice with 2 in 1 Out HDMI.. :D

Thanks

Peter

12. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why change your amp Amp in 15-18months? why not pay extra now & make it last 2-3 years? You have to ask yourself the question. What will the residual value of the Amp you are going to buy now be in 15-18months? If you are looking to sell it?

I only paid £750 for my Denon 3805 Worth every penny.

Tough decision and at times not always a financial one!! your heart will tell you at the end of the day!

Good luck
    Conor. :hiya:

13. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Conor,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am tempted to up my budget, but that means saving for some time longer (not a lot of spare cash each month) and I want to get my Home Cinema kit up and running. It may well be that I stick with my first amp for a couple of years anyway (so Spring 2007 to catch some manufacturers new season models....HD should definitely be appearing in greater numbers by then).

It is a tough decission, and that's why I am thinking long and hard about it so I am happy with my final outcome. Pro's and cons for each of my choices...

Thanks
    Peter

14. Cwhelan

Cwhelan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good strategy, we all have to start somewhere & in the price range you are talking about it will be a decent amp anyway.

15. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi Peter,
    having had my rxv2500 for a couple of weeks now I feel more able to pass sensible comment on it. At first I didn't care for the sound that much, it was overpoweringly bright and metallic sounding and while the steering was impressive it just seemed too artificial, processed if you like. My old dspa2 was just so much smoother and natural with everything I really thought I'd made a mistake, BUT.....
    after running in for a couple of weeks things have improved no end.
    The excessive brightness has really started to come under control and the sound is much more the relaxed, powerful & cohesive nature I've had from all my other Yamaha gear (as you can probably tell I'm a bit of a fan). The amp is still brighter and has sharper steering than my old one and isn't as good for stereo music but I can live with that, especially since I now have 7.1 options.
    Facilities and connectivity have certainly improved in the last few years and the GUI and auto set up are extremely useful - and idiot proof! so on the whole I'm pretty pleased with my new purchase, I can certainly see me being happy to keep it for a few years while new sound formats are probably in the pipeline.

So, while any of the amps you mention will be more than up to the job of driving your KEF eggs the Yamahas should suit well and I would tend to agree with Harryt2 - you may be best off with a 750se on a cost to ability basis.

Hope that helps,
    Stu.

16. origbow1

origbow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu mcc,

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback...Honest and very useful. Good info on the running in, as I would agree with u when I demo'd the Yamaha that it was bright.

I also still have the Yamaha 750 in my mind, but do like the higher spec'd amps. Possibly the 757, but can't see enough changes for the extra cash cos it's new.

Gonna ponder some more on it this weekend....just been buying some cables and interconnects this week.

Thanks

Peter