Pioneer XDP-100R Portable Audio Player Review

stevos

Distinguished Member
I do wonder who the target audience is for these devices, considering its not the 90's anymore and pretty much everyone has a mobile that does a decent enough job, plus when your on the move critical listening isn't so important. Sounds insanely niche.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I think this one makes a better case than most. 400gb+ potential storage and a decent headphone amp in a single chassis combined with a good interface makes a degree of sense. It also leaves your phone to get on being a phone which sounds minor but is actually surprisingly liberating.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Splitting is fine in the winter, when you have plenty of pockets, but a pain in summer. Something i notice a lot when carrying a work and personal phone during summer.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Embrace the manbag my friend :D.

I suspect that the other area that might help DAP's is that if the rumours that Apple might be ready to can the 3.5mm socket on the next iPhone (and to be clear, I think that they have good reasons to do so), the purpose and reason for such devices becomes a little clearer. That niche is never going to be huge but I can see it being meaningful in the context of the industry as a whole.

I've also amended the copy to note that the XDP-100R does have a digital out via USB only.
Ed

HMHB

Distinguished Member
What will Apple replace the 3.5mm socket with, and why?

McCol

Nice review.

Was thinking about buying this or the Onkyo but the Mojo has been a bit of a game changer for me. For years I've swapped between dedicated DAP or smartphone with DAC/Amp options. Reading that the Pioneer doesn't quite reach the Mojo makes me think that my current setup will hopefully be my last for a while.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Thanks for the review, did you test to see how this unit handles gapless FLAC?

Yep- seamlessly. To be honest this is something I'd have though was absolutely expected. I'd have only raised it as an issue if it couldn't do it.

Replicant

Yep- seamlessly. To be honest this is something I'd have though was absolutely expected. I'd have only raised it as an issue if it couldn't do it.
Great thanks for the confirmation, it should be a stupid question but I've realised its not considered standard functionality by many players!

Boink!

Do you actually give the price of the XDP-100r on your review? I've scanned through it twice and I can only see the Sony ZX2 high price.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I do wonder who the target audience is for these devices, considering its not the 90's anymore and pretty much everyone has a mobile that does a decent enough job, plus when your on the move critical listening isn't so important. Sounds insanely niche.
It is a niche market. Biggest in Japan and that part of South east Asia. But headphone audio is a bigger market than home HiFi. It is potentially lucrative to capture the fraction of headphone owners that want portable quality

eug

Novice Member
The review mentions that the Pioneer doesn't sound as powerful as the ZX2. Pioneer's specs say it can do 75mW into 32 ohms and Sony 15mW into 16 ohms. What would cause it to sound less powerful?

Also, the review mentions the EQ is only present in the music player app. Does that mean others like Spotify and Tidal cannot be EQed?

I've got the ZX2 at the moment but am a bit concerned about longevity in terms of the outdated OS. There will come a time when Spotify/Tidal will not run on Android 4.4 so I'm thinking of switching to the Pioneer.. but I like nice lows so not having an EQ in other apps might not work for me!

Tmulhearn

Novice Member
The review mentions that the Pioneer doesn't sound as powerful as the ZX2. Pioneer's specs say it can do 75mW into 32 ohms and Sony 15mW into 16 ohms. What would cause it to sound less powerful?

Also, the review mentions the EQ is only present in the music player app. Does that mean others like Spotify and Tidal cannot be EQed?

I've got the ZX2 at the moment but am a bit concerned about longevity in terms of the outdated OS. There will come a time when Spotify/Tidal will not run on Android 4.4 so I'm thinking of switching to the Pioneer.. but I like nice lows so not having an EQ in other apps might not work for me!

I've recently lost my nwzx2 during a move, id like to know the above as well, and about the battery life, as im considering this or the Nwzx1 as a replacement

McCol

I wanted a new DAP and considered the Pioneer but in the end imported it's sibling - the Onkyo DP-X1 Onkyo USA Corporation It's much the same player but with twin DAC's and twin amps so it is capable of driving balanced headphones, also has a few other extra features.

It may come out in April/May time here but no details yet. I paid £420 from Japan, can't see it being less than £650 if released in the UK.

It is a wonderful DAP, runs Android smoothly with a great display but most of all the SQ is excellent, up there with my Mojo Dac but without having to stack.

Highlander

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help. I have the Cocktail Audio x30 network/ cd ripper & have files in FLAC & WAV & want to transfer some albums to the Pioneer XDP 100R, I am hoping this can be done by connecting the USB on the Cocktail Audio to the mini USB on the Pioneer, is this possible? Rather than having to transfer to a PCs first then the Pioneer XDP 100 R? Thanks

nate247

Just bought one of these at the Hi-Fi show on my doorstep here in Bristol and have been surprised to hear just how low the volume is driving my Shure 1545 headphones, likewise through my B&W C5's it doesn't sound a great deal better than my iPhone 6.

I have since (not certain if 100% correct) learned on that the UK software suffers from a non removable EU volume cap currently. I just wonder if the software you were running @Ed Selley was UK or overseas due to it being a demo unit?

Any insight would be fab. Many thanks...

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Just bought one of these at the Hi-Fi show on my doorstep here in Bristol and have been surprised to hear just how low the volume is driving my Shure 1545 headphones, likewise through my B&W C5's it doesn't sound a great deal better than my iPhone 6.

I have since (not certain if 100% correct) learned on that the UK software suffers from a non removable EU volume cap currently. I just wonder if the software you were running @Ed Selley was UK or overseas due to it being a demo unit?

Any insight would be fab. Many thanks...

The unit was tested before the limiter removal software was available and this is why it came in for criticism for feeling underpowered. This is why there is also the discrepancy in performance compared to the ZX2 despite the posted figures. I think the update will make a big difference.

In answer to the other posted question, as far as I can see, the EQ facility only runs in the playback ap so has not effect on Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz etc.

nate247

Thanks for the kind reply Ed. So a simple case of sit tight and wait for a software update at the minute them I am guessing?

I heard rumor it may well be this week and that the Demo units at the Bristol show were ruining it, which is why to my ear it sounded so good. But I do tend to listen to music louder than I'd Imagine I'm supposed to and so it's one of the reason's I've gone this route rather than reply on Smartphones.

Not 100% convinced by Hi-Res Audio however. You can tell a difference, maybe 10/20% but the file size of some songs is enormous at 100mb ish. Hopefully MQA will solve that but again the improvements could all be in my own head :)

Could I just ask one final question which is the sort of file type you tested with the XDP-100R to really make it sing? With so many file types, bit's and mhz flying around in my head I just wondered whether you believe CD quality loss less is enough or going the extra mile with Hi-Res Audio is worth it. Bets wishes... oh and I can also confirm EQ not available in any other app than the stock music player.

Kenny Glasgow

Nice review Ed

I'm looking for a new machine to replace my iPod Classic 80Gb classic that is over 10 years old that I use in my car via Audi Music Interface and also whilst flying, listening on Klipsch in-ears.

We are a Mac household and nearly all of my files are Apple Lossless and I'm I no hurry to re-do over 70,000 tracks.

The biggest appeal of the Pioneer is the "massive" storage capabilities. Do you know how easy it is to copy over the Apple Lossless files maintaining their album order and artwork?

I am also considering the A+K Jnr or an iPod Touch 128Gb with the Oppo HA-2. No need for any of the other functions on the Touch as I have an iPhone for all the other stuff

Pity Apple didn't replace the 160Gb Classic with a 256Gb SSD version.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Nice review Ed

I'm looking for a new machine to replace my iPod Classic 80Gb classic that is over 10 years old that I use in my car via Audi Music Interface and also whilst flying, listening on Klipsch in-ears.

We are a Mac household and nearly all of my files are Apple Lossless and I'm I no hurry to re-do over 70,000 tracks.

The biggest appeal of the Pioneer is the "massive" storage capabilities. Do you know how easy it is to copy over the Apple Lossless files maintaining their album order and artwork?

I am also considering the A+K Jnr or an iPod Touch 128Gb with the Oppo HA-2. No need for any of the other functions on the Touch as I have an iPhone for all the other stuff

Pity Apple didn't replace the 160Gb Classic with a 256Gb SSD version.

They'll copy over in blocks of drag and drop but depending when and how the files were ripped, I can't guarantee that they'll bring art and metadata over- this applies to any non iTunes based player. iTunes is a bit of a lore unto itself in tagging and it doesn't always transfer correctly (although the files can be retagged).

I've literally- in the last 20 minutes or so- finished uploading a review of the A&K Junior too...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio