1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer XDE + scaler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superpixel, Mar 1, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone with first hand experience describe the picture improvements (particularly with regard to motion) from the following:

1. Sky through standard Pioneer 505XDE
    2. As above with a sub-£1000 scaler connected to HDMI input
    3. As above with SDI mod/upgrades on Sky box and scaler

Thanks.

2. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Almost:-

1. Always found it pretty good via decent RGB-Scart, some visible problems with footy on SkySports but nowhere near as bad to my eyes as you hear some people describe. Should add my viewing distance is also less than 8ft. I have never had any motion problems on DVD, but Sky/Freeview always struggles, particularly graphics moving from left-to-right across the screen, and titles.

2. Have had a Lumagen (not sub £1,000) HDP for about a week, which has 'not' been professionally setup, just my own playing around with menus, some of which I don't even know what they do. Definite improvement, particularly in depth and stability, but not more than visibly 10-20%, depending on what you're watching. However, the fact that I've barely scratched the surface of what a scaler like this can do leaves me already happy. I'm currently running 720P on everything via HDMI, and I've just updated the firmware which is supposed to majorly improve the processing on PAL. I'll be watching Spurs vs Forest tomorrow on Sky, so I'll let you know what I think.

3. My scaler is SDI-modded and I'm waiting for an SDI Sky+ box via ebay to arrive, so will let you know.

Once it's all run-in I'm going to get it all ISF calibrated, probably in April now.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello superpixel

And keep in mind its possible to organise a Home Loan/Demo with some Lumagen dealers - of course the danger is you wont want to live without one after you've given it a go.

SDI makes for noise free images - everything looks more 'solid' with SDI; though RGB is a good compromise.

Best regards

Joe

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys. I'd be interested to here how football has improved - as its unwatchable (for me at least) currently on my dad's 434HDE.

Scrowe, when you say youve never had problems with DVD, what inputs on the plasma have you been using (the HDMI?). The major problems which I'd like to eliminate (and which are glaring to me, none of our other plasmas do it, and switching off all enhancement features hasn't helped much) are: motion pixellation, a general appearance that everything is in slow-motion, like its at half the frame rate, and when the picture pans it 'judders' - i dont want to call it judder, because the experts might say its not the technically correct term. My minor quibbles are the greenish-grey blacks and fuzzy graphics/text rendition.

I can personally get Pioneer plasmas very cheap - the 505XDE for well under £3000, but I still had ruled it out completely because of its flaws, but the scaler idea has got me rethinking. my poor dad bought it blind, as our friends had a Pioneer 503 consumer TV and it doesn't have these problems (at least to nowhere near the same degree). I think we must have a seriously nobbled media box in Europe - I bet the Pioneer Elite models are great...

5. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207

6. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If I could get hold of a 505xde for uner £3000 I'd be looking at one right now. Why pass up on a £1500 saving on a quality plasma.