Pioneer XDE Media box questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by mrgrill, Mar 16, 2006.

1. mrgrill

mrgrill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not too clued up on the whole AV thing. But I've been looking at the XDE as an option for our new plasma and I just wondered about the Media Box and if I actually need an AV reciever or not. Please go easy, I'm clueless on all of this.

Ok, so can I connect my Thompson Sky+ to the Media Box [via RGB scart], Cheapo £30 DVD player [never watch DVDs anyway :) ] to Media Box Via Scart and then Old Xbox to Media Box via Component or remaining Scart, and then if I decided to get some Surround sound speakers, could I connect these to one of the Audio Connections on the back of the Media Box? How do you then connect Media Box with the XDE display?

Does this then mean I wouldn't need an AV reciever? As I said, I'm not really into the whole AV / Home cinema thing, but would like to get the XDE, but I'm not so flush and don't currently have the best kit to really justify buying an AV Receiver.

Would the setup I explained work and be ok for person like me [who just wants to watch tele on a decent screen]?

Thanks

2. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hi there, :hiya:

The media box will give you Analogue and Digital (freeview) so long as you plug an coax antenna into it.

The only problem I can see with your setup is that the RGB scart will not carry audio, so you will need a separate connection to pass audio to the media box so it can be passed to the panel. I’d suggest that you have you DVD player going into Input 1. If you Sky box has component out feed that to component Input 2 and use a Scart to Input 2 to carry audio. Finally your XBOX can be fed via scart to Input 3

The media box comes with its own cable for connecting to the panel, from memory it's about 3M long. This will carry the picture and audio (so long as you have the speakers attached.)

If you were to buy some 5.1 speakers you’d need to buy a separate AV amp to manage the speakers. You would then use the optical out from the media box to send the signal to the amp.

Hope this answers your questions.

I found the downloadable manual from the Pioneer website invaluable when making my decision.

http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/RegistrInstrMan.nsf/search?openform&Modelnr=PDP-436XDE

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You need an amp somewhere in the system, mate. It's line level out from the media box, and AFAIK it does not pass through anything but a PCM bitstream, no proper surround sound signal, even if using the HDMI connector, which supposedly does carry audio as well as video. You could buy a basic all in one type thing, or maybe one of the sets designed for a PC. Just check it has enough audio inputs. I'm assuming here your surround sound aspirations are not high, and you'd not bother playing music on them. Most PC and all in ones sound like your Ipod headphones in the bottom of a glass bowl with music.
    Deepcore, what planet have you come from? How does your TV make a noise when you conect sky to it with scart? Course scart carries audio!! Sky has no component video, dvd should go to component if it has the connectors, or input 3 scart, which is RGB. If you have an HD pack for x-box, it could profitably use the component connection.

4. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Just trying to help.... :suicide:

mrgrill said he was going to connect his Sky via RGB scart, this has no audio carrier so audio would have to be provided some other way ??

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    RGB only would have no audio, yes. As he's asking basic q's how likely is that? Very few on the market.

6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just confirming that the media box can only handle PCM bitstream on the audio side... I have my DVD player hooked up directly to the box via HDMI and was not getting any sound out of the TV until I changed the output mode on the DVD from "All" sound to just PCM....