• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer XDE FDE SXE RXE Arggghhh

  • Thread starter NeverRichEnough
  • Start date
N

NeverRichEnough

Guest
Hi all, my very first post was to clarify the differences between the Pioneer 436 XDE and FDE.

Mainly I wanted to discover if the amazing panel in the XDE was the same used in the FDE which thanks to some kind answers I found out is.

I therefore chose to go for the FDE since I had no need of it's digital tuner and second HDMI input at the much more competitive price (Currently £1995 at Richer Sounds with stand and speakers)

However now I finally have the funds to spend I see the SXE and RXE have arrived, as all in one units, same panel again according to Pioneer, but does anyone here know if they perform as well and if either should tempt me away from the FDE?

Any input would be much appreciated!
 
D

drpellypo

Guest
I researched this, and according to Le Concepts, the 436FDE offers the same specification plasma display as the 436XDE but the media receiver, pdp-r06fe, only has 1x HDMI, is without digital FreeView, digital optical out, PC card reader, subwoofer out, VGA in and split picture/picture in picture. SXE is exactly the same, but with built in digital tuner (essentially everything that was in the media box is internal to the panel,) and the difference between that and the RXE is the same difference between the XDE and FDE (i.e. no freeview etc.)
 
N

NeverRichEnough

Guest
Thankyou so much for the info, going on that I think that the FDE will continue to be my 1st choice 436 from the four.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! :thumbsup:
 

Reaperman

Active Member
NeverRichEnough said:
I therefore chose to go for the FDE since I had no need of it's digital tuner

Why wouldnt you go for a digital feed over an analogue broadcast...
PQ is far superior...!

Unless you have SKY of course....;)
 

Baz80

Active Member
I have the sxe and have carried out all the same research as you, and what swayed it for me was the fact that all the bits are internal i dont currently have the inclination to be a plasma nerd (my friends would say i'm nerdy enough already) and start down the road of displays and scalers, i simply wanted a HD TV plasma that could deliver simple quality pictures.

i have no complaints with my purchase the SXE is simply breathtaking in its ability to display dvd/dvb/and most sky channels. I cant fault it.

Any Pioneer plasma you choose from the current range will be great and from personal experience i have no hesitation in recommending the SXE good luck in your choice.
 

Barr_y

Standard Member
Hi just one more thing the latest Pioneers have all the fixings on the back of the screen which could look ugly if the cables are not hidden. The FDE you have is great even without the digital box because it makes for neater connections, especially if it is on a stand with the other bits and pieces.
 
N

NeverRichEnough

Guest
Once again let me thank you for the replies! The advice has been a wonderful help.

Yes I do have Sky which is why I have no need of the digital tuner, but thanks for raising the point :thumbsup:

Tomorrow is buy day from Richer Sounds, the deal is in store pick up only so everyone keep your fingers crossed the box will fit in the back of my Focus :eek:
 

Always-hungry

Active Member
Baz80 said:
I have the sxe and have carried out all the same research as you, and what swayed it for me was the fact that all the bits are internal i dont currently have the inclination to be a plasma nerd (my friends would say i'm nerdy enough already) and start down the road of displays and scalers, i simply wanted a HD TV plasma that could deliver simple quality pictures.

i have no complaints with my purchase the SXE is simply breathtaking in its ability to display dvd/dvb/and most sky channels. I cant fault it.

Any Pioneer plasma you choose from the current range will be great and from personal experience i have no hesitation in recommending the SXE good luck in your choice.

Have to agree, one stunning peice of engineering and to think I nearly bought a Sony Bravia :eek:
 

windie

Active Member
NeverRichEnough said:
Once again let me thank you for the replies! The advice has been a wonderful help.

Yes I do have Sky which is why I have no need of the digital tuner, but thanks for raising the point :thumbsup:

Tomorrow is buy day from Richer Sounds, the deal is in store pick up only so everyone keep your fingers crossed the box will fit in the back of my Focus :eek:


Remember not transport the panel horizontally, I have yet to see a Focus that could take a panel in the back standing up.

A few people on here have mentioned that they have used a black cab to get home from Richer Sounds, better to be safe than sorry.
 

stephenc

Well-known Member
windie said:
Remember not transport the panel horizontally

Windie,

out of curiosity, why is that?

Stephen.
 

windie

Active Member
Stephenc,

I am led to believe it is to do with the glass flexing during transportation. I am sure if you required a better technical explanation one of the more senior members of the forum can assist you.

But as I said better to be safe than sorry.

Windie
 
NeverRichEnough said:
Hi all, my very first post was to clarify the differences between the Pioneer 436 XDE and FDE.

Mainly I wanted to discover if the amazing panel in the XDE was the same used in the FDE which thanks to some kind answers I found out is.

I therefore chose to go for the FDE since I had no need of it's digital tuner and second HDMI input at the much more competitive price (Currently £1995 at Richer Sounds with stand and speakers)

However now I finally have the funds to spend I see the SXE and RXE have arrived, as all in one units, same panel again according to Pioneer, but does anyone here know if they perform as well and if either should tempt me away from the FDE?

Any input would be much appreciated!

I personally went for the 436 XDE as it cost only £2100 and has the extra HDMI input for when PS3, Sky HD, HD DVD, etc. are released.
 
D

drpellypo

Guest
windie said:
Stephenc,

I am led to believe it is to do with the glass flexing during transportation. I am sure if you required a better technical explanation one of the more senior members of the forum can assist you.

But as I said better to be safe than sorry.

Windie

Put simply, the components behind the glass are very very close to the surface (have you seen the Barclays ad on TV? Where the guy hits the screen with a golf ball? You can see from that what I mean.)

If you transport the unit flat and it flexes, the components could touch the glass and you could possibly have a broken plasma on your hands.
 

treadmill

Standard Member
leeclissett said:
I personally went for the 436 XDE as it cost only £2100 and has the extra HDMI input for when PS3, Sky HD, HD DVD, etc. are released.

Leeclissett - how did you get a price that good for the XDE - did that include the stand and speakers. Please tell me because if the XDE is that cheap its well worth it. Could that be price matched at John Lewis?
 

john9876

Active Member
I'm looking at buying one of the PDP43 screens, and tried the SXE and XDE in JL Edinburgh. A few questions arose from this, any help appreciated:-

1 - Remote control. The remote with the XDE is great (compact, well made, metal front etc.). The remote with the integrated SXE is horrible (much larger, cheap feeling plastic, too light) - presumably one of the factors which helped Pioneer reduce the prices. Can you buy "spare" remotes like the XDE's?

2 - Digital tuner. Although the picture was really good, they are too slow to change channel and don't display all of the channel names or information (compared to Sony sets for example). I'm now wondering about saving £150-odd and going for a RXE or FDE and using an existing separate Freeview box. If component inputs are used, will the picture be as good as the integrated tuner?

3 - Reliability. JL now say they're out of stock of all variants and it's likely to be at least a month before they could deliver one. I had been planning to try to get them to do a price match/underbid in order to get the 5 year guarantee. Other retailers have stock but I believe the standard Pio guarantee is 1 year. A typical 5 year extended guarantee (Dom & Gen) seems to be about £580 extra, and other retailers are only around £300 cheaper than JL. Getting one now and taking a gamble on the lack of extended guarantee seems attractive. What is everyone's experience with reliability and support from Pioneer?

Thanks for any help, suggestions.

John.
 

MrR

Active Member
Can anybody let me know if the dimensions of the XDE (1076mm wide) include the size of the side speakers.

I'm looking at the either the XDE or SXE. I'm leaning towards the xde for the benefits of only one connection to panel along with extra HDMI etc, but the SXE has underslung speaker which I prefer to the side ones and all connections going to the back of the panel instead of media box which does save space and additional power connection in my AV rack.

Too many options, my brain cell is starting to hurt.

Any help would be grateful.
 

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom