1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer XDE Boxes, Digital OUT??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by 6022tivo, Sep 1, 2005.

1. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Just a quickie question to people who own the pioneer plasma 5th edition with the XDE digital media boxes.

I have noticed a Audio Optical out on the box and was wondering if this is the Audio output of what ever is switched to the screen at the time.

I would like to connect my AV system to the media box, and not have loads of inputs to the Audio system, just the one optical input.

So does the XDE just switch the audio on all the input sources of the media box to the optical out of the source it is displaying at the time???

Hope this makes sence??

2. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Re Dig Audio Output

Have just downloaded the manual, I am sure it was not avaliable last week from Pioneer.

"Audio signals syncronising with current displayed images are always output to the AUDIO OUTPUT terminals". Page 65.

So I think I have answered my question.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    With the XDE models, digital sound from digital broadcasts can be transferred to external AV components via the optical digital audio (Dolby Digital compliant) output.

Pioneer uk Website

4. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what does "digital sound from digital broadcasts" mean? Freeview is digital, so the digital sound would just be a stereo signal. But aren't some sky channels going to be in 5.1? So does that mean it would output 5.1? There's a comment on the other 436 thread that it will only output stereo.

5. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my 505XDE, it will output digital audio even if the input signal is analogue! E.g. I have Sky connected to the media box with a scart lead, and a toslink cable from the media box to my amp (no analogue connection) and the sound is transmitted.

I'm not sure about the 5.1 digital out - but I believe so, because I think the HDMI socket can accept digital audio as well as the video. The quote scarty16 gave would also imply it can do 5.1 as it says Dolby Digital compliant.

Cheers
    Phil