Question Pioneer XCHM86D - FireConnect Speakers

SHPanda

Established Member
Reaction score
So I currently own a Pioneer XCHM86D Media streaming amp/receiver.

Recently it’s had a software update which gives it FireConnect capabilities. I’ve always been keen on the whole multiroom audio system setup and was considering a Sonos system or something similar but it would appear FireConnect does the same job and may even work with video down the line, so Im now thinking of using this as a means of going multi-room with my music playback.

Looking into it, I’ve noted a couple of things, firstly the tech is currently only supported by three brands, Pioneer, Onkyo and Harmon (who strangely market it under a different name). The other thing is all manufacturers say not all speakers are compatible with all receivers, and there’s very little detail on cross brand compatibility. So it seemed safest to just stick with Pioneer speakers, but all I could find was the MRX-3 which looked suspiciously a lot like the Sonos Play:3 albeit with an added internal battery to make it portable.

So my question is, firstly does anyone have any idea if the MRX-3 is compatible? But more importantly, rather than limit myself to one speaker, does anyone know of any other speakers, they seem extremely difficult to find, and even the MRX-3s are difficult to source stock, with even the giants like Amazon quoting a 2 month wait, and Richer Sounds etc not even listing them. (Worth noting I’m UK based).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom