1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer x20 High Speed Copy rules

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eddyad, Oct 16, 2004.

1. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here are what I've deduced to be all the rules for HS copy to video mode DVD-R or -RW on Pioneer x20 machines. A/R = aspect ratio. 'Title' is used to refer to a discrete recording. In all cases the copy list items can be edited. And I do hope I've got it all right - corrections welcomed.

SP = any mode from MN19 - MN32
    LP = any mode from MN1 - MN18

1. SP, A/R 16:9, Frame Accurate On: HS copy OK.
    2. SP, A/R 16:9, Frame Accurate Off: HS copy OK.

3. SP, A/R 4:3, Frame Accurate On: HS copy OK.
    4. SP, A/R 4:3, Frame Accurate Off: HS copy OK.

5. SP, mixed A/R, Frame Accurate On: Copies in real time with changes to sampling rate possible, e.g. Optimized, SP to LP. No HS copy.
    The recording appears as a single title the same as the original, with A/R changes included.

6. SP, mixed A/R, Frame Accurate Off: HS copy OK.
    The recording splits into separate titles at A/R changes and will appear on the DVD as separate titles.
    Copy list edit allows individual resulting titles to be erased from the copy list. Then any adjacent remaining titles in the copy list which have the same A/R can be combined.
    For example, on Channel 4, a 4:3 program has 16:9 commercial breaks. These appear in the copy list as separate titles and can be deleted, and the remaining (4:3 only) sections combined into a single 'title' which can be edited (the title can be divided to 'top and tail' the 4:3 intro and end sequences - usually a few seconds, 'embedded' sections erased etc.) and copied at HS.

7. LP, A/R 16:9, Frame Accurate On: No HS copy - real time copy only.
    8. LP, A/R 16:9, Frame Accurate Off: Cannot edit (i.e. copy not possible)

9. LP, A/R 4:3, Frame Accurate On: HS copy OK
    10. LP, A/R 4:3, Frame Accurate Off: HS copy OK

11. LP, mixed A/R, Frame Accurate On: copies in real time as (5)
    12. LP, mixed A/R, Frame Accurate Off: HS copy of 4:3 sections OK.
    When the title is added to the copy list, the 16:9 sections are dropped. The remaining titles which now have the same A/R (4:3) can be combined and edited as in (6).
    Typically on Channel 4, a 4:3 program has 16:9 commercial breaks. These are automatically deleted and the remaining (4:3 only) sections combined into a single 'title' which can be edited and copied at HS.

Custom chapter marks can be inserted in the original or in titles in the copy list and will be preserved during HS copies.
    They cannot be copied in real-time operations. In this case chapter marks are inserted according to the Auto Chapter setting of the Recording section of Initial Set-up (none, every 10 mins or every 15 mins).
    LP recordings do not seem include automatic TV screen format switching.

I may get around to checking VR mode DVD-RW sometime, but I suspect anything copies at HS there.

2. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the detailed testing, it is very useful.

8 and 10 are interesting. I wonder if other recorders have this limitation.

I suppose an unexpected side-effect of the mixed aspect ratio treatment (into separate titles) is an easy way to identify and edit out the commercials.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. I thnk the limitations ae dictated by the recording format rather than the machine.

2. Yes - but only for channel 4 4:3 programs really, because their commercial are nearly always 16:9. And you still get bits of the commercial as the A/R change kicks in - anything from .5 to about 2 secs. But the 'Delete Section' works accurately enough to get rid of these if you use the frame fwd/back button..