Pioneer Worry

powder4o

Standard Member
I am just about to buy a Pioneer PDP-436SXE the worry is I have not seen anything good said about this Model on the Forums but all the mags are raving about them has anyone got one and if so can they please let me know what they think of it
Thanks Mal

keefers

Pow! :D

The PDP-436SXE is to all intents & purposes a PDP-436XDE with the media box built in. Sure, it has a couple less connections etc. but I imagine it's the image you're interested in, and I have to say it's a great screen.

I keep getting used to how good the picture is on mine then when I see my friends plasmas they just look dire & I'm reminded what a crisp, gorgeous screen I watch at home.

Good luck,

K.

P.S. If you do go for it remember to read the XDE FAQ - it applies to the SXE equally.

MrR

powder4o said:
I am just about to buy a Pioneer PDP-436SXE the worry is I have not seen anything good said about this Model on the Forums but all the mags are raving about them has anyone got one and if so can they please let me know what they think of it
Thanks Mal

The PIO's are very good screens, yes there have been problems in regards of image retension for screens built prior to Feb 06 where the screens had a voltage problem which caused some image retension.

Since then there have been less problems. If you follow the sticky at the front on the Plasma thread for running in settings it will lessen any potential problems.

Any plasma screen can suffer from image retension/burn if you either use the factory default settings or have static images kept on for too long. (eg. DYNAMIC or HIGH Contrast settings are a killer for any plasma).

There are PANASONIC owners here who'll say that the Panasonic plasma (PX60 & PX600) are far better than the PIO's, but the PANA's have been known to suffer with a green tinge and have noisy fans.

The best thing to do is demo them side by side and make YOUR OWN judgement.

By all means look for comments on the forums on what to look out for. I was in a similar situation torn between between the Pio and the Panasonic.

I've got a June 06 build Pioneer and have followed the settings in the sticky and have had no problems.

Whatever you decide on I don't think you be disappointed in either.

powder4o

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice I am going to be sitting just over 3m away from the screen. In your opinion is a 43 inch screen big enough or do you think I should be saving my money and going for a 50 inch

MrR

powder4o said:
Thanks for the advice I am going to be sitting just over 3m away from the screen. In your opinion is a 43 inch screen big enough or do you think I should be saving my money and going for a 50 inch

From 3M away either would be OK, but depending on the size of your room and where you plan to place the screen the 50 inch may look too big and dominate the room or you could decide for 43 inch and a few months down the line wish you'd gone for the 50".

Try to view in a shop from a similar distance to get some idea, although shop showrooms are far bigger it may still not give you the ideal result.

I know some users have mocked up the size of the screen with stiff cardboard and used it as a guide of what it'll look like or could go. (see the Pioneer web site to get the measurements from the spec sheets).

powder4o

Standard Member
Thanks very much for the advice and does anyone out there make a 50 inch screen or come close to making a screen the quality of the Pioneer's 436 SXE I mean apart from Pioneer themselves

Piers

It rather depends on whether you nedd an all-in-one "telly" or whether you are prepared to go the extra mile and cope with what the hi-fi guys calla "separates system". Just like with hi-fi there can be advantages from the latter.

Panasonic PHD8 (shortly to be 9) or cream of the current crop Fujitsu 50XHA58 are both worth looking at.

PLASMATU

Standard Member
MrR said:
The PIO's are very good screens, yes there have been problems in regards of image retension for screens built prior to Feb 06 where the screens had a voltage problem which caused some image retension.

Oh finally thats what i was looking for,since I did buy mine in June,and since

it has been manufactured on March 2006 I was worried about that(altho still

no retention with burn in settigns as faq)

Wonder if it may considered normal havin still on sale a plasma manufactured so well before ??

(altho the fact that its original price was 3199€ maybe is the cause)

P.S.

Anybody located the factory ? since its supposed to be in England,damn would be funny to find out more bout it.

dan4805

Standard Member
hi Powder40,
I have just posted a picture of my 436SXE wall mounted on this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78824.

I have owned my SXE 5 months now, ran it in as per the settings shown on the pioneer forum and can say i'm well happy with my purchace. I Have never experienced any Retention or Burn in issues. just hours of enjoyment.

hope this helps

DAN4805

[email protected]

MUGGY said:
The factory is, I believe, in the Pontefract area.

Castleford, West yorks. They only assemble them there. Hence why next gen models are NEC based to reduce costs - big mistake in my mind, doing away with their "trademark" of external media box, own panel, etc.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
powder4o said:
Thanks very much for the advice and does anyone out there make a 50 inch screen or come close to making a screen the quality of the Pioneer's 436 SXE I mean apart from Pioneer themselves
There are 50 and other 42" which for PQ are far better than the 436/506SXE unfortunately South wales doesnt have any good places to demo at the moment but there are places a bit furhter away that can offer good demos (depends how far your willing to travel)

powder4o

Standard Member
What distance away from a 50 inch screen would you say is right, because I have seen people sitting about 4 or 5 feet away from a 42 inch and that seems awful close to me

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
10 feet or more is fine for a 50" it depends how close you want to be some people like it very close others much further back (depends how big your house/lounge/viewing room is)

Henry

As Piers said, Panasonic PHD8/9 and the new Fujitsu

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom