Pioneer with 4:3

sparkz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Any Pioneer plasma owners out there who can answer me a simple question about aspect control on 4:3 pictures (from my Sky+ box)?

I know other brands like Panasonic have a mode called "just" which zooms the 4:3 a little and stretches the side but leaves the center intact. Like the "smart" mode on my Sony. Does the Pioneer have a mode like this?

On my TV I never watch 4:3 in it's natural format anyway and it seems that doing this on a plasma is not good for other reasons.

I'm thinking of getting the PDP433MXE btw.

Thanks for any feedback...

HI,

On my Pio 433,,I have the following modes if I recall:

Full: seems okay for Widescreen Cable. Also, on using the THX Optimax functions, I get a perfect circle!

Zoom: Never really used it

Wide: This may be your 'stretch facility'

4:3 Speaks for it self.

Hope this helps

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

What's Optimax??? Is it a DVD similar to Video Essentials?

Could you expand on what "full" does to a 4:3 image?

I can't wait to get going on plasma but want to make the right choice...

Thanks

sparkz,

In video modes:

Full shows widescreen broadcasts 'correctly' but stretches 4:3 broadcasts linearly to the full width of the screen

Zoom appears to stretch the picture vertically - e.g. if you are watching 2.35:1 movies on FULL you get black bars top and bottom. If you use ZOOM the bars disappear but the picture is 'stretched' vertically (people look thin and tall) - you don't seem to lose much if anything at the sides. If you are watching 4:3 TV, the aspect looks correct but you lose the top/bottom of the image.

Wide sounds the same as Panny's Just. It takes a 4:3 image and stretches the image horizontally to fill the width of the screen, but stretching the sides not the middle. It also clips off some of the top/ bottom of the image. Personally, I don't like it at all (on panning shots, people go thick/thin/thick again!) so I tend to stick with zoom or 4:3...

4:3 is what you'd expect - grey bars at the side and a correct ratio 4:3 image. No burn-in worries as long as you limit the usage (particularly during the first hours of the plasma) and return to a full screen image for a while afterwards.

In Computer input modes, things are a bit different. E.g. for a 1024x768 4:3 input, you have:

Dot-by-dot: as it sounds - a 1024x768 pixel for pixel image, so it appears horizontally stretched on the 16:9 screen

4:3: remaps the input to a 4:3 ratio - looks 'correct' but you lose some detail horizontally.

There's another mode which deals with lower res images - e.g. 800x600 can be zoomed to fill the screen. Can't remember if this is called Zoom or what!?

HTH,
Phil

If youuse the Integal Menu, youcan change these side bars to black (or any other colour)

Thank you

for a much better expalnation Phil :)

Adrian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom