Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer - why such a gap in the range?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ccparkhill, Jul 26, 2005.

1. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pioneer have the 585a for about £130, then the 668av for about £600, why such a massive gap in the range? I don't understand why they haven't released a budget upscaling universal HDMI player :confused:

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Maybe pioneer is considered a luxury brand in the world of DVD players. Same as Denon.

They kinda have to make cheaper models too in order to avoid loosing that market to other makers, but i think pios main market is the high end market.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    I suspect as well that they have two DVD solutions currently running. The cheap one that covers units up to the 585 will not handle a digital video out internally- it would require an external scaler (still within the casework but in addition to the standard circuit) so would end up being expensive and possibly a bit cranky to use. The other solution (668 upwards) handles HDMI internally and allows for ilink as well but probably has a high minimum software cost.

4. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So why no player to match the £200ish 1910, it has DVI and upscaling and I'm sure if Pioneer did pitch a model against it it would be universal.

Also why do Pioneer have 3 amps with i.Link ranging from £800 to £2000, but only one DVD player at £1,000 (RRP) :confused:

5. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I think pioneer have made a major mistake not putting a hdmi socket on the 585, my last 3 players have been pioneer but now i am considering the new samsung 950 to replace my 575

6. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Come on Pioneer, where's your answer to the Denon 1920?

Upsacaling HDMI universal player for £250ish.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    perhaps because it actually adds very little performance to a player unless you have a decent budget, even then there is no clear case for an improvement, in fact there is more evidence to the conatry. HDMI is just an interface, it can't fundamentally change the signal we view, it is just presented differently down the wire. The driver here being copy protection NOT quality.

8. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But isn't upscaling only available over HDMI on brand name players?

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    But ALL plasma / LCD etc upscale anyway. It get done already. By adding an upscaling DVD player, the chances are you are doing 2 scaling operations and making the picture worse. (unless you have a 720 native rate device that you can drive 1:1). If you drive at 1080i then the chances are you you are using terrible deinterlacing as well! By all means use HDMI but why not transfer 480p / 576p (or even i)?

Ever wondered why quality consious people like Arcam don't offer upscaling HDMI? Now you know ;)

By asking for upscaling you are just replicating what you have already, and that might actually work better!

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'd like to know why folk consider that a £200 player would reep worthwhile benefits over one of half the price.

I've viewed a few DVD players from dirt cheap £50 players to those costing over a grand. While those at dirt cheap levels may well lack some bells and whistles the actual picture quality is not miles behind one of a higher level (reading it's still damn good!).

To be honest I find it hard to justify the cost at the higher echelons because the pic isnt outstandingly better. Some glitter and dazzle I'd like to call it. Rather than WOW amazing. For me one doesn't seem to reap the same sort of benefits as one does with chasing the audio ladder.

So why does one consider that there's something worthwhile to be gained for an extra £100 assuming that a £100 player had RGB?