Pioneer VX5i setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NC11, Sep 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had my new HC kit installed couple of days ago. It includes the VX5i AMP and the KEF 2005.2 set (6.1) among the rest of it. :thumbsup:

I've watched few movies already and noticed that the rear speakers are hardly noticable. No big deal , u can still hear them , but seems to be too low. I've went into the system setup and increased the channel level for the 3 rears. This hasn't helped that much though...

Before I'll do that again , Is this a common issue? Is it the speakers perhaps or just the settings on the AMP?

Cheers.

2. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    are the flims ure watching in 5.1? or more

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've watched films like "Behind enemy lines" or "Toy Story" which I believe are 6.1.

4. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if u can, try using an test signal on a another input to check they work ok. it may have nothing to do with the speakers / reciever and could even be something like the dvd player or so - try to limit down the problem to u know whats wrong. It also might be worth checking the cabling - making sure nothing is wrong, and everything is tight etc. or even swapping speakers around. If all that doesnt work, must be something in the setup somewhere

5. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've tried the tests and all speakers respond well to that , so I would cross-out the cabling or source for now. Good idea to swap the eggs around , will do that.

Cheers.

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    good luck :)

7. Kwman

Kwman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Hi NC11

I'm interested in the same amp and speakers you got. How is the sound for movies and music ?

kw

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    The rears are supposed to be subtle, not overpowering.
    I agree they are quieter than you would expect and you may not think you can hear them but if you switch them off you will notice the difference.
    If you run MCACC it should pretty much do it right but if you want to do it more precisely, get yourself an SPL.
    You must avoid the temptation to turn the rears up or you will ruin the whole soundstage.

9. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    If your DVD player has been set to output a DD/DTS soundtrack,and the Pioneer is happy with it - then "Digital" in small letters,should be shown on the front left hand side of the amps display.

When you set the amp up,I'm assumming that you used the mic and the automated facility to do so.To make the best of this,you will have to make sure your amp is connected to your TV.Any problems,will be detected,and shown onscreen after the test has been conducted.

I thought this part of the amp would be a gimmick.That is,until I used it. :)

HTH

Jerry

10. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I would agree with Brogan with regards the rears - they are not supposed to be in your face,unless a plane (for example),passes overhead,from back to front of sound-stage.

More often than not,peeps tend to crank the rears up,so as try and be the equal of the front.By definition,most of the action is happening in front of you,so realism would dictate,that this is where most of the sound is expected to come from.Ambient sounds effects,such as dogs barking,rain,distant gun shots,cars etc etc etc - noises that add to the soundstage,rather than being a major part of it,are usually the sound signals that are sent to the rears.

Less is more = Rear channels.

11. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well , I know that the rears are mainly for effects , etc. It's just that I think they can be heard better. I'll try to change some settings and see how it goes.

KWMAN - The AMP and speakers were chosen for few reasons:

1. THe AMP complements the other kit I've got , aminly the 868 DVD player. ilink is great , so If you're looking to get the 868 you should go for the VX5.

2. I've demo'd the Arcam set (AVR300 and 79 DVD) , as well as the Denon (2900 and 3803). Arcam was the favorite due to the HDMI connection , however as a system the Pioneer sound better to me.

3. I've looked into 2 sets of small speakers - the eggs and the Bose AM15. Not sure why but the Kef sound more refined and with more detail , so for me that has been the factor.

4. I might have considered the Gallos but couldn't find them around for a demo (North London).

HTH,

NC.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    NC11

Are you talking about the Rear Speaker (6:1) or the Left and Right Surround Speaker levels - or all three?

Have you set the system up using MCACC?

When you play Toy Story what's the AV Receiver front panel showing - bottom left of the display shows the speaker matrix that's 'in play'.

Best regards

Joe

13. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Joe, I'm pretty sure I know what his problem is or is not depending on your point of view.
    It is that the side and rear surrounds are indeed very quiet after using MCACC.
    The resulting effect is one that is very subtle as opposed to something that is very obvious.
    Some people find this unsatisfactory but it is not a fault, it is just how the system is designed to operate.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Hi Brogan

Having been in HiFi Retail when Yamaha launched the very first DSP processors I've 'heard' the full effects of how many folk perceive 'surround sound' should sound; 'getting value for money out of the surrounds' was one explanation I heard a few times!!!

Keep in mind though with the AV Receiver you can do an MCACC balance with the speakers set to OFF!!!

I've seen a few folk with AV Receivers in Direct mode and the like who were only getting 2 channels when they thought they were in surround modes.

Best regards

Joe

15. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    We've paid for them so we're going to damn well use them :laugh:
    Might as well put it into 7 channel 'stereo' mode if that's the case :D

True but I understood he had the system set up correctly as in his first post he stated "the rear speakers are hardly noticable. No big deal , u can still hear them , but seems to be too low"
    I understood therefore that he had enabled them in the setup menu before carrying out MCACC and then set SBCH to Auto or On to ensure they were in use.

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    My AX3 was totally out on the two occasions I have run it as regards my rears. MCACC is a useful tool for setting distance but our the proprietry software that we use and my SPL, the rears were set too low on both occasions.
    I cannot recommend an SPL strongly enough.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Fully agree.
    It's on my list of 'things to do'... :rolleyes:

18. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    From my listening position,I checked the resut of the MCACC with a Radio Shack SPL,and the levels were pretty much spot on.I must admit,that I was more than a little sceptical of this system,and the supplied mic didn't inspire me with much confidance.

19. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Good to hear.
    I've just ordered one from Cornwall Electronics to confirm my set up is OK.
    I figured for £30 it was a cheap and easy way of double checking.

Out of interest, did you just do the basic speaker level calibration?
    What did you do about the All Channel Adjust and Front Align with the individual frequency bands and Trim settings?

20. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Brogan - I just did the basic setup - and tweaked down the surround back speakers to suit,as I found they were slightly too conspicuous.I havn't deviated far from the auto setup,as I was happy with the end result,& when I attempted to tweak,ended up doubting the resulting sound.My system consists of the four corner speakers being the exact same model (Mission 735),so obviously,tonally,they are the same.The small Bipolars are at the other end of the spectrum to the 735's,so from a tweaking point of view,their small size is never going to be compensated for.But,it was these that I ended up turning down slightly.From a SPL reading point of view,before I toned them down,their levels were in keeping with the rest,so now,they are operating at a lower level than the other speakers (about 5 dbs lower).

When I can get a day,where the kids are out,and I have the house to myself,I'm going to experiment,to see if I can improve what sound I have.But,if that day never comes,I'll still be happy with what I have at the moment.

21. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i decided to leave things as the auto-setup dictated and have to say , after couple of days I'm quite happy with the results...