Quantcast

Pioneer VX 921 - Only displaying PCM

Drunken Master

I've been searching for an answer, with no luck, and I'm convinced that there's an obvious answer....

When I try to listen to a Blu-Ray in any of the HD audio formats the display only shows PCM. My Sony player is outputting Dolby or DTS. The same happens on my PS3

Sky HD is the only thing that is outputting Dolby Digital.

Thanks

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I've been searching for an answer, with no luck, and I'm convinced that there's an obvious answer....

When I try to listen to a Blu-Ray in any of the HD audio formats the display only shows PCM. My Sony player is outputting Dolby or DTS. The same happens on my PS3

Sky HD is the only thing that is outputting Dolby Digital.
The old PS3 cannot bitstream, it always decodes internally, and so the amp's display always shows PCM, although of course you're heating the HD audio track in full quaility. The PS3 slim can be set to bitstream (as below).

Sony's BD players default to internal decoding as this provides full functionality (specifically secondary audio) at the irrelevant price of not seeing some indicator on a receiver. To see the indicator (the sound will be the same quality) reconfigure the player to disable secondary audio and enable bitstream. You have now traded secondary audio for a shiny little light.

Sky HD does not have any HD audio, it is limited to Dolby Digital.

Top Bottom