Pioneer VSXD814 or Marantz SR5400?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by capt_janeway, Sep 23, 2004.

1. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Both around the £200 - £250 mark - looking to pair them with the Moraunt Short Premier Plus speakers and a Panny e95 dvd/hdd

Can't seem to make up my mind :rolleyes:

Will be used for mostly movie watching

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Neither - go for the new Sony STR-795 as it's mostly for movies.

3. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah go for the sony or a Denon 1804 or 1705 or wait for the 1905 all are twice as good as those two. Marantz sucks donkey!

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

:nono:

No they don't - and seeing as you asked the difference between an amp and a receiver just this evening I'd say you're not in a position to make that sort of comment.

:thumbsdow

5. mattburk

mattburk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the marantz sound over denon any day.

6. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the pioneer ,it sounds great. the auto setup works well and makes a difference plus it has good connectivity. ive got tannoy fx5.1 speakers , was wondering though if the maurdaunt shorts you mentioned would sound a lot better tho.

7. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve just spent a month thrashing,sorry testing both amps,and i ended up with the Pioneer.The Marantz is by far the better amp for stereo in my opinion.In fact i,d go as far as to say it thrashes the Pioneer(headphones or speakers) in stereo.But the Pioneer is god when it comes to surround sound.It is simply stunning.I have not heard any amp at the asking price which can come anywhere near this for image steering.It really does take you there.Outstanding piece of kit.The highest accolade i can give it is that i 80% stereo,20% films and yet ironically i brought the Pioneer.My reasoning was that the stereo performance will come once i,ve mucked about a bit,i hope :laugh:I still cant beleive that i went for the Pioneer,but i have no regrets at all.Only grumble is that it sometimes gets a a bit warm.Maybe thats me abusing it,i really dont know.Best £200 i have spent

8. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  9. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my marantz, but the general opinion is that the pionner has the upper hand for films.

10. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you run your Pioneer in 7.1? Having a few teething problems get both rear surrounds to be recognised by the setup? Nothing from RS Left, RS right OK
    :confused: :confused:

11. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol not knowing the difference between an amp and a receiver makes no difference to me knowing the difference between a good sound and a bad sound you numpty. Besides Marantz is a lot of money for not a lot

Lets not resort to name calling - moderator.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes is the answer. If you really want to hear the best from films you need a subwoofer as even good floorstanders cant go as low as a good sub:smashin:

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Perhaps not, but it does affect the credibility of your opinion.

:thumbsdow

14. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair point besides i dont want to get in a bitching war. just trying to helkp out and my personal opinion is against that of marantz and that the pioneer is better. But most of it here is i guess personal preference. I still have a lot to learn.

15. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    We all do

:)

16. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a pair of Pioneer S-H510 floorstanders.They drop to 30Hz and they do a reasonable job on AV and stereo.Not bad for £170 and i save some room cos i not use a sub.My room24'x20'

17. grammatoncleric

grammatoncleric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi there, I'm completely new to all of this, but I have been reading your forums quite comprehensivley with a view to purchasing a worthwhile AV system after suffering my worst Sony experience EVER. Shame on you Sony for releasing the DAV S300 'all yer eggs in one basket' pile of junk. OK, it was a good buy some 4 years ago (at £500 odd quid mind) but after ££££ of repairs I' still got the dreaded CS13:00 or whatever that was error message, disks were jumping, CD playback was AWFUL...anyhow I digress (it's in the bin now!)

Therefore I took delivery of....

Marantz 5400 AV amp
    Marantz CD5400OSE CD Player (OK an indulgance and not even AV related)
    Pioneer 575 DVD player
    Tannoy M4MX fronts
    Tannoy Fusion Centre
    Eltax HT2 BP's rear

I have got to say that bang for bucks, it's a pretty good deal so far..
    Peter Tyson did me proud!!. :thumbsup:
    After reading your forum somewhere about matching the centres to the fronts, I decided that perhaps it would be a better idea to buy one, rather than use the poxy Sony cubes. I was waiting for the order to be shipped anyhow as the CD was going to be another week or so.
    Impatient that I am though, I decided to cut a deal. So I upgraded the CD to OSE, and purchased the Fusion Centre. I got the Fusion for £58 free delivery too!. Nice one PT

Anyhow, just to add to the decision making, I chose the Marantz as it is the only choice for you listeners out there who want to listen to GOOD QUALITY stereo music. hands down, its a no brainer. Don't go for all the silly 'Theatre / Jazz club, Smoke filled hall' whizz bangery, as it's a gimmick that you'll soon get bored with. Peter Tyson are doing the 5400 in black (only I'm afraid) for £199. I want silver like everybody else, but at the end of the day thats a deal you can't refuse, so now I have a nice big black shiny system, and the whole lot cost me less than £700 SWEEEEEET!!
    Peter Tyson - Amp 199 / CD 150 / Tannoys 129!! / Fusion 58
    Tottenham CR - DVD 120
    Richer S - Rears 70

I need to talk cables with someone as I havent a scooby about coaxials / digitals /component cables (The back of a proper AV Amp is incredible!!), so if someone wants to guide me to an apporopiate spot that would be immense

:clap: Thanks for all your advice so far, my purchases have been mostly down to your good advice. (there have been a few links marrying tannoys and Marantz so I took them to their word, over the MS range) :clap:

18. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look in the cable forum #17 ,when you do let me know whats best for the sub ,digital coaxial or phono rca cable.if anyone could help: previously i mentioned that i have the pioneer vsx-d814 +tannoy fx5.1 speakers.was wondering ;is it normal to have the volume at -15 db (-94upto-0)to get the wow effect. speach at this volume from the centre spkr isnt very loud and is a bit tinny.would i benifit from upgrading the centre spkr. also i think the volume from my dvd player is lower than my skybox with the amp at the same level.dvd connected with analogue and digital. i ve had the amp upto -9db on occasions. :eek: my room is 5mx5m. could it be because the spkrs are 6 ohm impedance.

19. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HifiBitz are doing the following deal

Marantz SR5400 Home Cinema Receiver with FREE DV4400 Multiregion DVD Player for £349.99.

Looks pretty good. Limited stocks though.

20. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well did the deed today!

RS Romford - Yammy 650 & Mordaunt SHort Premier speakers

I hope I have made the correct decision - but anything must be better than nowt - right!

Thanks for all your help on here

21. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,710
    Everything I've seen about the Yamaha suggests it will be a fine match for the premieres and that it offers great performance and build.

22. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just thought I'd say now its all set up and working - wow!

Love the amp - very easy to set up and the speakers and woofer rock - got my dogs bouncing all over the floor :thumbsup: