1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer vsxd812 set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by harveydean_uk, Dec 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. harveydean_uk

harveydean_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using
    Pioneer vsxd812 to drive - Tannoy Revolution Centre, Tannoy R1's as surrounds
    Nad 319 amp linked by pre-out to drive Tannoy R3 Front Speakers

All set to Large - Medium Sized room - I have set the speaker distances.

However I have not performed the MCACC set up (apparently the 912 had a microphone to do this automatically)

Will this process dramatically improve the sound? How do I perform the set-up without a sound meter?

I have to say that I haven't been knocked dead by the sound - And I've listening to most settings - I prefer the "game" setting as it seems to boost all levels and make the sound come alive.

Is there anything I've done wrong.

I'm using a Philips DVDR80 with digital light connector to the Pioneer.

Sound from the Sky Digibox is also very poor quality.

2. harveydean_uk

harveydean_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've reposted this message as I'm still unsure whether I need to perform a MCACC set up for the PIO.......

..........do i need an SPL Meter? Where can I get one?

I've set the distances to calibrate the speakers - but now I need to adjust the volumes...

....are there other methods to do this?

Ta in advance

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The 912 does have a microphone to do it automatically. you can try to do it with your own hearing, its probably worth it until you can get a spl meter. It is definatly worth buying one as to where you can get one from try doing a search on google or your favorite search engine.

4. harveydean_uk

harveydean_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm attempting to do it manually (by ear!) should I be getting the volume of the test signals to be equal?

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    yes

6. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I would highly recommend setting it up with an SPL meter, I recently got an 812 and felt it wasn't quite right with the balance between speakers front/rear and the sub, when I checked with an SPL meter I was way out on the sound balance when I set everything to balance it sounded far far better and I am well chuffed with this Amp I think it is great for music and movies (OK it is not >£1K material but for the money it is great value.

Get an SPL meter you won't be disappointed!

7. harveydean_uk

harveydean_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that advice - where can I get an SPL meter - I've checked the web and all i get is meters at £1000 + for professional use............

8. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    various sources, but analogue (preferred) are in short supply. Try Maplin. Check the frequency range goes low enough for the sub. Radio Shack have a new analogue coming soon, apparently. Expect to pay between £30-£50.

I paid £34.99 at maplin for a digital spl, is brilliant, BUT doesn't claim to go below 300hz, which analogues often do. I still set up sub (got a reading) but it may not be accurate because it's outside the specs.

But in reality, my sub gets adjusted a lot depending on time of day and presence of neighbours, so maybe its not too important.

I got this one (now £54.99) for £34.99 on special offer. It makes the whole thing very easy (subuject to sub issue, above).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=031221235420429&moduleno=25671&Products

But if you search this forum you will find threads with sources for SPL's in UK.