1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSXD812 - help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by eas4uk, Jan 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have just upgraded my Sony STRD930 and bought a Pioneer VSXD812 - wired in on Wednesday night. I have to say I'm very pleased with the surround effects, the receiver shifts the sound around all the speakers superbly and is a definite improvement on the Sony.

However... It seems that at the higher end of the volume scale it sounds too bright - like there is no real oomph behind it - I never had this problem with my Sony which always sounded like it had plenty in reserve even when it was really cranked up. The bass and treble controls aren't as versatile as on the Sony and it seems can only be used in 2.0 stereo mode anyway. The Sony had a claimed 100w per channel in 5.1 and the Pioneer had the same so I wasn't expecting much difference here, but I feel a bit let down now. Is this purely a power thing? I kind of wish I'd upgraded to the Sony STRDB2000 or Denon 2803.

I bought this Pioneer from Peter Tyson - any chance they might take it back? Or let me swap it for another model?

Any comments will be very much appreciated...

2. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be obvious, but have you set the bass to use main & sub if you have a sub (and haven't set it to sub only, if you don't)?

3. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a sub, then on this receiver if your front speakers are set to large, then the sub wont work unless you set "Plus" on the subwoofer setting (p45 of the manual). You may also want to adjust the crossover settings (same page)

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    what does the crossover setting do what should it be set on while using mission fs1s???