pioneer vsxd2014i thx amp

paul1672

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi there.
just wondering if anyone can tell me if the pioneer vsxd2014i thx amp is a direct replacement for the pioneer vsxd2011 amp?
thinking of purchasing one but really want it to be at least as good as the vsxd2011 amp.
any info would be greatly appreciated.
paul

The 2011 was really replaced by the AX5i which grew the ilink and a higher price. There was also an AX3 (which I own) that was an AX5 without the component video switching and the ilink- you keeping up? ;). The 2014 is in turn a replacement for the AX3 with the components back and an ilink- very like an AX5i. The AX5i has in turn become the AX5ai.
Clear as mud?

got that,so in your opinion,would you say buying the pioneer 2014i would be a good purchase (compared to a second hand 2011) or would getting an ax5i be a better bet (would i hear a significant difference).
i'm sure there'll be plenty of second hand ax5i's available soon.
many thanks
paul

No difference between the 2011 and the AX3 (the latter may in fact be inferior) and even an AX5 won't be a huge leap forward unless you can make use of the ilink it carries. There simply isn't that much new on them to get excited about.

so i guess i may as well purchase the 2014i then.
i have already had a 2011 amp and loved it.
to be honest i miss it like hell so thought i may as well get another one.
i guess once you've been used to a good set-up it's hard to get used to conventional tv/sound.

The only thing to remember is the prices have changed The 2014i has I-link for £800 the AX3 doesn't but is now £580. Hmmm

I do not believe the 2014i is the replacement for the AX3, see the attached link in this same forum for more details:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=41

The 1014 and 2014i appear to be upgrades for the 914 and for the life of me I cannot undertsand why they are charging so much money for them especially when compared to the AX3 and to the amount they are retailing for in the states.

In many regards the 2014i is a much inferior product to the AX3 (albeit an improvement on the 914) as an example the processing power for the AX3 is twice as much as the 2014i.

I have yet to see the new AX3 advertised in Britain though.

Xstyle said:
The AX5i seems pretty good to me...

What can u use the iLink for then???

iLink is an encrypted digital connection for DVD-Audio and SACD multi-channel signals from suitably equipped players such as Pioneer's 757Ai or 868AVi. A cheap iLink cable can replace the need for all other audio cables between the player and amp. Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi

I did a quick 'compare' on the Pioneer website and can't really see any differences at all, other than the Air Studio's 'sound' tuning box was flagged up for the 5Ai and not the 2014i. But having said that some of the compares don't completely tally up so it could well have it.

Im interested to know what differences there really are??? As it seems a cheaper 5Ai to me on paper??
I read a recent review of this amp (2014) and it was highly praised and said to better the 5Ai.

Paul1672 have you committed yet, either way?

CH

Dutch said:
iLink is an encrypted digital connection for DVD-Audio and SACD multi-channel signals from suitably equipped players such as Pioneer's 757Ai or 868AVi. A cheap iLink cable can replace the need for all other audio cables between the player and amp. Hope this helps.

Steve

You actually get an i-link cable free with the 757Ai. That's the only cable I use to link it to my amp and it works tremendously.

Also, if you are using one of the new Pioneer Plasmas.....you can use the SR+ connection feature on the 2014i...not featured on the AX5-Ai.....from the Pioneer blurb........

One interface and the whole home cinema system is at your fingertips. With the latest SR+ interface you can integrate the A/V receiver with your new Pioneer Plasma TV with minimum fuss. Everything you need to produce the ultimate listening experience - receiver status and controls such as volume level, surround mode, MCACC Setup and all initial setup features - are displayed on the Plasma display.

With SR+ interface, the Plasma TV's Multimedia Receiver automatically follows the input of the A/V receiver and the Plasma TV's infrared receptor also accepts remote commands via Pioneer A/V products using the SR+ interface.

this is interesting... can u refer to a link on the issue? is it only on the 5th gen. screens?

If you go the www.pioneer.co.uk and to the av section, look at the spec. for either the new amp or the newer plasmas.....Then scroll down to where it lists SR+ as a feature and click it and you get this.....

SR +
When this PURE Vision Plasma TV is linked to a Pioneer A/V receiver equipped with an SR+ interface, receiver status and controls, such as volume, surround mode, MCACC adjustment status, and sound field parameters, are displayed on the Plasma TV screen. This way, users have total control of their complete home cinema system settings

1014 and 2014i Don't have less processing power they use a single updated chip rather than two older ones.
They have gained Pro logic IIx and the 2014i has gained I link and video upconversion
However it does appear they have lost their air studios tuning which are now reserved for the VSXAX5AiS and VSAAX10AiS.

cool-hand,i've just purchased the 2014i and am awaiting delivery and a new set of speakers to go with it.
once it's all set-up i'll let you know my opinion.
paul1672

Tried one out, it actually sounds better than the AX3, I wouldn't sell your ax3 for the upgrade, didn't try i-link so it's a fair trial.
I think it may be the setup function thats been improved because i couldn't find the reason for the amount of improvement in the specs!

would you say it's an improvement on the vsx-d2011?
i had a 2011 previously and am hoping it's at least as good as the 2011.
cheers
paul

paul1672 said:
cool-hand,i've just purchased the 2014i and am awaiting delivery and a new set of speakers to go with it.
once it's all set-up i'll let you know my opinion.
paul1672

I went for the Denon 3805 receiver and 3910 player but would still be interested (and the other members) in your comments...

CH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom