• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer vsx933 can u turn off chromecast

windup

Established Member
Just got a vsx933 receiver and trying to get to grips with all its remote play features.
So far so good except trying to use Spotify from an android phone app.
Spotify recognises the 933 and immediately tries to connect via cast ( no other option given ) but fails after cycling for ages. I cannot see any option to turn off chromecast once you have it registered to the device.
I see many others having issues with casting on Pioneer amps so want to turn it off on the 933 and use bluetooth or the network.. but can't see any option to do that.
Any ideas plse ?

PS .. I now find Chromecast will connect 1 in 10 attempts but will then breakup and stall, so obviously a signal problem despite the fact I'm standing in front of the amp.
Bluetooth works no problem. So the much hyped addition of Chromecast seems to be a technical problem for Pioneer /Google which firmware updates don't seem to cure.
I think I will have to reset the Amp and see if I can bypass the Chromecast setup option. Very annoying, but I find selecting Bluetooth overides Cast and get perfect playback on Spotify.
Any other feedback welcome :D

Last edited:

jacckdaw

Established Member
In the Spotify app there should be three dots next to the connected device. Tap that and you should get an option to use Spotify connect or google cast.

windup

Established Member
Thanks.. I checked that and seem to have a different array of options, at least on the android app I recently installed.
Devices available (on the bottom of the app) shows the 933 as only via Google cast, then phone, TV or PC. Can only assume the various options auto hookup once established. Added to that, now the 933 is paired with my phone on bluetooth, as soon as i power up the phone in the morning the Amp powers up too whether I want it or not. FAR too clever by half.
This is why I want to get rid of the Chromecast option as its not for for purpose. When I have time to play I'll reset the Amp and update later .. cheers

windup

Established Member
HOORAY .. cracked it. After much following of various searches on Chromecast, I found you have to download a Google HOME App. This is designed to identify each Cast device ( audio, coffee maker, bottle washer, foot massage, lights, kettle etc etc etc) and the network which all must be connected to. Do we really need all this stuff ?

Anyway, having checked my Pioneer 933 was registered I then realised it was showing my home network with the option to FORGET. When I selected that option my Spotify app immediately lost contact with Cast. Activating Bluetooth switched on my Amp and immediately started playing.

There might be other ways but I am H A P P Y to forget all about Chromecast. Too much tech which doesn't work Google. !! :(

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom