Pioneer VSX917VS- componant signal to TV not to projector??

seajayj

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a pioneer VSX917V AV Amplifier and an Infocus screenplay 5700 projector. For the last two years no problems watching movies through them, then the signal started breaking up so I chaged the lamp in the projector, still the problem, so I disconnected the componant outputs from the amp and connected them directly to the DVD, great picture, so it was the amp. Just had it repaired, and the reapir shop showed me it working from the componant output to a tv and fine picture, however when I connect it to my projector No Picture, but if I connect direct to the dvd then a great picture, any ideas?? for something that worked fine now A PUZZLE?? HELP :lease:

I have a pioneer VSX917V AV Amplifier and an Infocus screenplay 5700 projector. For the last two years no problems watching movies through them, then the signal started breaking up so I chaged the lamp in the projector, still the problem, so I disconnected the componant outputs from the amp and connected them directly to the DVD, great picture, so it was the amp. Just had it repaired, and the reapir shop showed me it working from the componant output to a tv and fine picture, however when I connect it to my projector No Picture, but if I connect direct to the dvd then a great picture, any ideas?? for something that worked fine now A PUZZLE?? HELP :lease:
How is the source connected to the amp?

I have the dvd, sattellite connected to the componant inputs and have them assigned, I have also tried connecting them via the normal rgb inputs but still no picture outputs, if I connect direct from the dvd to the projector no problems but from the amp then no picture

I have the dvd, sattellite connected to the componant inputs and have them assigned, I have also tried connecting them via the normal rgb inputs but still no picture outputs, if I connect direct from the dvd to the projector no problems but from the amp then no picture
I'm lost.

"I have also tried connecting them via the normal rgb inputs". The Pioneer VSX-917V does not have RGB inputs, :confused:

Your DVD and satellite receiver presumably have YUV component output, or you wouldn't be talking about them, rather than SCART (RGBS), which you obviously cannot route through your receiver. Your receiver also cannot route RGB with sync-on-green. To route through the receiver, the sources must be configured to output YUV over component. But this too makes no sense, as you say it used to work and this is something that, if wrong, could never have worked. :confused:

What I'd like is a clear explanation from source to sink of what and how it's connected up and how it's configured, using the exact terminology from the menus.

apologies for the confusion and probably my ignorance. There is a componant output from the amp which goes to the projector, then there are three inputs for componants, I have connected the dvd etc to these and you can assign these inputs to the those devices so when switching between the amp connects to the right one. I have also tried conecting them using the red and white audio and yellow inputs, with the componant output to the projector, if I connect only the componant inputs, no out put, I connect only the red,white and yellow, still no output, I have tried connecting everything still nothing. Its frustrating as I had no problems before. What i can't understand is why picutre is fine if I connect direct to the dvd.

Tahnks for your ehlp...and patience
cheers

The yellow video in the "red and white audio and yellow inputs" is composite not "component". Conversion of composite to component requires enabling the video convertor (manual, page 64). Also
correct configuration of the priority ordering (manual, page 61), including disabling unused inputs, is required. My suspicion is that there's something the matter here, but my remoteness from your system and your lack of details, makes it hard to diagnose from here.

Could you please post "what and how it's connected up and how it's configured, using the exact terminology from the menus." If you're not sure if some menu item is relevant or not, just post it - too much detail is not a problem. This is for the DVD, the amp and the projector.

Hi Thanks for your reply and patience:),

however I think its more basic than detail, when I connect the inputs, both composite and componant, the output from the componant to the TV no problems from any devices so the inputs are all working fine and output is fine ..to the TV... but nothing to the projector,

I thought it must be the projector...but no.. when its connected direct to the dvd etc beautiful picture.

Its as though the projector has not picked up the output signal?? could that have changed during the repair to the amp?? can it be changed in the av amp to match the projector, I am confused
cheers

Hi Thanks for your reply and patience:),

however I think its more basic than detail, when I connect the inputs, both composite and componant, the output from the componant to the TV no problems from any devices so the inputs are all working fine and output is fine ..to the TV... but nothing to the projector,

I thought it must be the projector...but no.. when its connected direct to the dvd etc beautiful picture.

Its as though the projector has not picked up the output signal?? could that have changed during the repair to the amp?? can it be changed in the av amp to match the projector, I am confused
cheers
Since connecting the DVD to the projector works, we can exclude a basic flaw in both the DVD and the projector. If you want to be certain, connect up a composite cable from the amp to the projector, use composite from the DVD to the amp, and configure the amp to accept composite. This must work, as composite is a unique standard.

The problem with component is that the term has multiple meanings even as it is, and many devices simultanously support a bunch of additional meanings whilst not implementing all of the standard meanings. The lack of data channels also means that no device can figure out what the other one wants, gives or can do - one of the reasons why component is in fact a lousy connectivity option. A consequence is that it is crucial that every device on the component link is correctly configured to have exactly the same meaning. Chances are that your TV is more forgiving, or supports a mode your projector doesn't, or tries to figure things automatically, whilst the projector is less flexible.

Hence I suspect a configuration error somewhere, and is why I'm asking for a pedantically precise description of exactly what is configured and how.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom