1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX859-Waste of space!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lizard, Jul 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Lizard

Lizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)

i've had a quick look around and everyone (at least so far as I can see) has got a lot of good things to say about Pioneer's VSX859-RDS amp...I wish id had the same experience with mine!

Im not going to go into the full saga of exactly what went wrong (it'd take forever!) but suffice to say that im am an extemely angry customer who thinks that an amp that breaks twice within 9 months is not particularly stellar performance.

The company I bought the it from 'Home Cinema Heaven' replaced my original faulty unit with another faulty unit and then ignored all my attempts to contact them for three months (until it went out of warranty), and Pioneer (who couldn't stop repeating that 'our amps are manufactured to the highest possible quality') just stuck to the latest corporate trend of repeating sections of their brochure at you until you give up in frustration.

In my eyes an amp that costs you over half its original cost in repairs when you have only actually owned it for 15 months is quite clearly NOT 'made to the highest possible standards'

Am I all alone here? or has anyone else had any similarly infuriating experiences?

Needless to say I will never purchase another product from Pioneer again, ill pay a bit more next time and get an amp that actually works.

Chris Trill

2. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got this amp (incidentally purchased ex demo from the same supplier as you) - so far (been using it since September) I haven't had any problems at all - I remember that the initial run had to be recalled due to power supply problems but that was quite a while ago.

What problems have you been having ?

Phil

3. Lizard

Lizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that the initial problem with it was the power supply thing (it turned into standby mode and wouldnt switch on again) as the guy I spoke to first at HCH mentioned something about a recall.

But my problems with both Pioneer and Home Cinema Heaven are more to do with after sales care than with the unit itself. The guy who picked up my original amp and dropped off its replacement must have accidentally given me another faulty unit (he had a few of them in the van with him) as it died in the same way a short time later.

What has really irked me is both Home Cinema Heaven and Pioneer's dogged insistence that they 'don't make mistakes' and it all couldn't possibly have happened! HCH still insist that they don't supply faulty equipment and that it all must somehow be my fault, and Pioneer just keep up the 'our products are made to the highest possible standards' litany...obviously these 'high standards' are behind the need for the initaial product recall :)

I would be considerably happier if either one of them would just admit their mistake and attempt to make amends, I mean I don't think im being unreasonable when I expect a fairly expensive piece of kit to actually work...or is 6 months operational time an acceptable life for amps now?

Chris Trill

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi lizard
    Another member of the forums had a quality issue with home cinema heaven he bought the marantz 7300 receiver with the high pitched noise ,they told him the noise was satisfactory and there was nothing wrong. To get to the point i think he lost around £130 for them to take it back and they still insisted there was nothing wrong.
    Good service -not
    Gonzo.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That old cliche (?)...if a company does something right, that customer will probably tell 1 other person...if a company does something wrong - well that company had better have a bloody good excuse these days!!! It is actually the suppliers responsability to provide you with a fully working unit doing "exactly what it does on the tin..."so to speak. You have lefty it a bit late to complain now as it is out of warranty, but for future reference, a threat of the small claims court normally gets these sort of companies jumping. However, if it dosen't, you need to carry out the threat or risk looking stupid. You won't be out of pocket though as they will have to pay costs when you win...

6. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As he made the complaint well before the end of the warranty period i'd say it was still worth a go. I'd say my experience of HCH was OK, but then my amp works fine (its when things go wrong that the quality of the suplier is tested)

One thing I'm a bit confused by is the age of the amp- I got mine ex-demo about 12 months ago and I think it had been discontinued by that point - was yours sold as 2nd hand/used or new as this may be making the difference here (although if you have a waranty it shouldn't)

Phil

[edit]

I've just reread your email regarding how long you've had it so you can ignore some of the above

The power supply issue is detailed here and was sorted quite a while ago

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/notices.htm#4

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gonzo is refering to me.

I messed up by throwing away the packaging (I kept the box), but it was clear that there was no way I was going to get a full refund no matter what I did (if I had kept the packaging ie returned it as it was sold to me I could have got my credit card company involved). In the end I paid a high price for some polystyrene, plastic and cardboard.

HCH are not a company I will ever deal with again or let any of my friends buy from.

8. Lizard

Lizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was part of my problem with HCH, when I contacted them the second time the unit broke to ask them why they had sent me a faulty one they started insisting it wasn't their fault or problem (this was with about a month left on the warranty) they then refused to answer any of my e-mails, answerphone messages or phonecalls (and it wasn't once or twice...I tried to contact them repeatedly) for the next 2 or 3 months, then when I did actually talk to them they said '...oh but it's out of warranty, that's not our problem'.

Incidentally I am taking them to court...my solicitor is going through the case at the moment, I just wanted to see if anyone else had had any similar problems, and as for..."if a company does something wrong - well that company had better have a bloody good excuse these days!!!" erm...well yeah they better had really that's kind of what customer service is all about, and I still don't think im being unreasonable...or is it acceptable to sell faulty equipment then refuse to fix it these days!

Cheers
    Chris Trill

9. Lizard

Lizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a look at that link posted by Badger and it says that the recall was posted on 31 January 2001, I bought the unit from HCH in July 2001 which means that the unit they originally sold me was faulty too.

Thanks Badger :)