1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX859 RDS-G

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BTH86, Jan 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BTH86

BTH86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New member - have just upgraded from yamaha e492 processor/marantz 66se stereo amp to this pioneer and it is the business. Have been reading threads re this amp and would like to ask for any advice on upgrade to surround ex ? Do I need to purchase a power amp or can the above marantz be used ? This receiver has THX capabilities. Do i need to upgrade my speakers to obtain full benefit of THX processing ? thanks for any advice you guys can offer ...

My kit for info is Pioneer 859 RDS / Panasonic DVD- A7
    Mordaunt Short MS25i Fronts
    Tannoy MC cemtre/ M1 rears
    REL Sub
    Toshiba 55" rear Projection

2. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the model up from this, the same except extra power and THX Ultra not Select compatible...

Anyway, to answer your questions:

Upgrade to THX EX:

You will need an aditional power amp (I bought the Pioneer MX-10 a 120W rated amp from Pioneer for the very purpose..). But if your Marantz (which i dont know) is a power amp or an amp with Pre-inputs then it can be used. The rear EX speaker pre-outs would be connected to the Marantz Pre-in. Set the Marantz to take the signal from the pre-ins and connect speakers to the Marantz main output terminals.

Be careful with the output of the Marantz, the 859 is rated at 100w if the Marantz is louder it will not need to go on so loud.

Speaker Upgrade to THX:

All the people say that you need THX speakers to get the best out of the THX stuff...All THX is, is a specification so I would say if you have bought good quality speakers so far then they will be fine. (If you have not then buy normal good quality).

THX 5 speaker packs come in at £2000 for the cheapest, then you need the EX rears...

As with all amps just make sure that the front three are the same in design or manufacturer so that they sound the same..If you need rears for EX try and buy the surround speakers to match your mains..

The 859 will support 2 EX rears (which I use) THX say use two, every one else says use one.. so up to you. If you have a wide room I would use two.

The latest THX spec says to use 2 side by side at the rear no gap.

Hope this lot helps, leave a message if you have any more questions.

PS- I use Tannoy fronts, Yamaha Sides, and Eltax bi-pole rears (so what do I know, and ignore every thing I said above.

The Eltax bi-poles from Richer SOunds at £75 are a bargain, well worth it if you need some for the EX rears...

:cool:

3. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just read you kit list I would get a set of the M1 for the EX rears....

:eek:

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I love Pioneer amps as well how easy are the THX modes to set and do you think this standard can effect DTS modes as THX and DTS are two competing companies!
    I am upgrading my pioneer budget amp to the 909 seems a bargain with Richer sounds £399 , if i eventually get one that is.....WAIT...WAIT...

5. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £399 :(

Mine was £1200 but I love it and would not part with it so its worth it to me (trying to kid myself there)

THX does process over DTS. Remember THX is not a sound format more a post processing and I use THX over DD, DTS, Pro-logic (where it was originially designed) and even over Dolby surround stuff like Star Treks monthly tapes on video.

THS makes the voices better and move focused then is a lot more to but at the end of the day you can always turn it off..

If you can get a 859 they are also very simular to the 909 and you would be hard to spot the difference..

6. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you guys are still looking then the VSX859RDSG is up for grabs at empiredirect.co.uk @ £329 + £7.99 p&P.

Can anyone tell me if this amp is any good, i'm trying to get off the ground with this home cinema and cannot decide on a budget let alone a specific amp. I just took delivery of a Panny 36pl30 tv and am truely amazed with the picture, now i've got to add some awesome sound.

Any recommendations or otherwise on this model would be gratefully received. At least the wife likes the look of this model (which is a big start):p

7. BTH86

BTH86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I (started this thread) purchased my VSX859RDS-G(GOLD) from
    Sound and Vision for £330. They matched the price of empire direct who at the time were advertising at £330 (black). I have also now seen this amp in the gold version advertised at empire direct fro the price you quoted. If you can afford it (half rrp) go for it . It is superb and if you had paid full price when it first appeared you would not have been dissapointed so at 50% of it is a steal big time !!!

8. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an 859 for 1 month before Pioneer recalled it with an electrical fault and swapped if for a 909! (The 859 has cost be £600) at that point...So I have had both

the 859 is a newer machine and has some nicer bits on such as a 'EX' light and the ability to rename your inputs that the amp shows - the 909 cant do this but then the 909 is a higher rated amp and THX ultra specification not Select..

I would say that either would be a bargain for the price...

9. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you have any luck with Richersounds? Website has £599 as the price, I'm assuming you're trying the mail order number.

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I phoned my local branch, they have said its still on order although out of stock.
    I am going to pester them until i get it but i am begining to feel a little worried they advertise these deals for attention without having enough stock [ mybe one unit...]. Anyway guy at store keeps telling me they SHOULD be getting more in although i am doubtfull Pioneer are still making this model... Any opinions anyone!