1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer vsx859-how to wire up 2nd amp for 7.1??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by digital, Jan 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. digital

digital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pioneer vsx859 receiver and celestion speakers+sub. I'd like to add in the extra 2 rears i.e go from a 5.1 set up to 7.1 The manual talks about wiring in a 2nd power amp to drive these rears. Could I use my old Marantz pm44se or my spare Rotel 931 amp? They are integrated amps so not sure if this is possible. Any help appreciated.:confused:

2. BTH86

BTH86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recently purchased this same model and intend doing exactly the same as yourself using my marantz PM66SE (also an integrated stereo amp) when I aquire a second pair of speakers for the 'back' surround. I have made enquiries into this via this forum and also with my local dealer and there is no problem with using a stereo amp as opposed to a power amp. Line out from the pioneer into an input on the amp (eg AUX) to drive the 2 rear channels. Im sure you will get more confirmation and advice on this from 'experts' who have gone this route

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Using an intergrated amp is not a problem. If you look at the Pioneer catalouge you will see that they 'recommend' you use one of their matching intergrated's for the back surrounds.

Use matching surround speakers for the backs as the sides.

Have fun!

4. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is correct but the AMP has a switch on the back to turn off parts of the intergrated amp features when being used as a power amp.

I used to have my 859 and 909 connected to my old Yamaha intergrated amp (a DSP970 prologic amp) and used that as in this tread, 859 rear outputs to AUX1 in and then connected the speakers to the Yamaha.

This worked but was very hissy when up loud, I have since bought the Pioneer MX10 Power (sold for use with 859 and 909) and the hiss has stopped...

Recommendation use the old intergrated amp until you have the money for a cheap power amp....

It is much better now that the old Yamaha setup

:cool: