Pioneer VSX2021 with Zone 2 Output via Pre-Out to External Stereo Amp

IanJF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help with my current setup.

I have changed my setup from being a 7.1 surround setup to a 2.1 setup using Monitor Audio RX6 Towers and RXW12 SW. All seems to be working fine on that front, - the MA RX6s are Bi-Amped into my Pioneer VSX2021 using the Main L&R speaker outputs and the Surround Rear L&R Speaker Outputs.
The Amp has it's speaker settings set to BiAmp mode and only has Left, Right and SW Speakers registered on the Amp Setup.

I have another external Pioneer Stereo (x2 output) Amplifier. This Amp has 2 Auxiliary speakers hooked up to it in different parts of the house. I have my main VSX2021 connected to this AMP via the ZONE 2 Pre-Outs on the REAR. I have it connected to the CD input of the Stereo Amp (also tried LINE).

However, whenever I switch on Zone 2 and select a source, nothing seems to be output from my 2021??? The Stereo Amp plays nothing... I was able to get ZONE 2 working on my 2021 when I had the Aux Speakers plugged into the Surround Rear Speaker Outputs, but I have lost the ability to use these since I am Bi-Amping my RX6s, plus I want the A/B functionality of the Stereo Amp.

It's almost as if the PRE-OUTs on the back aren't sending any signal out??

I hope someone can help me with this, as I almost have it all completed..
:lease:

Would also appreciate it if anyone has any ideas maybe on some setup I might have overlooked going to 2.1 etc... I take it the Amp will know what to do with a full DTS-HD-MA track even though I am only using 2.1???

Thanks a lot...
Ian.

Your amp will downmix any multichannel signal (like DTS MA) to what ever number of speakers youhave attached so no issues there.
I wonder if the zone 2 issue is due to you biamping which somehow disables any zone 2 functionality whether it be from the preouts or the amped sections. I assume you are using an analogue input to the amp for going to zone 2 qand not a source connected via optial, coaxial or HDMI.

Hi PSM1 - thanks for your reply. That's good about the Downmixing so that's what I hoped would happen.
I don't think the issue is with the Biamping because I tried changing speaker mode to ZONE2 instead and it didn't make a difference. When using the Biamping then the only way you can get ZONE2 to work is via the Pre-Outs, otherwise you can just wire up to the surround back speaker outputs for Z2.

No the input I was trying was from a HDMI source?? Will that make a difference???
I have a stereo RCA cable connected from the VSX2021 to the Analog input of the Stereo Amp, but the source I selected for ZONE 2 was the SKY HD box which is running off HDMI!

Thanks,
Ian.

An AV receiver's second zone audio output is restricted to non HDMI or S/PDIF sources so only analogue, USB or audio sourced via a receiver's networking capabilities can br output to additional zones.

Ah thank you Dante01 and PSM1 - I wasn't aware of that...
Ok I will try it later on via the Network feed or the USB feed so as that is what I really want it for anyway!!

I guess this restriction is only for the PRE-OUTs?? As I used to be able to run SKY HD on ZONE2 when I had the Aux speakers local to the 2021...

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Ian.

The restriction is on both the preouts and the speaker outputs. If you got sky to work before then you either had an analogue connection from your sky box to the receiver or you were not using zone 2 but playing the rear surround channel through the additional speakers. If you look at the manual it will clearly say that zone 2 (via either method) can not be used with digital inputs.

Thanks a lot guys!!
That's that issue sorted anyway!!! I was able to route the Network Audio out to my Stereo Amp via the ZONE 2 pre outs...

Thanks again for all your help!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom