Question Pioneer VSX S-310 and Apple TV 4K

goddardicus

Novice Member
Wondering if anyone has been able to get 4K and HDR to work with HDMI via this receiver?

I can get 4K to passthrough but not HDR. So Apple TV can do 4K SDR but not HDR. This is for any frequency (50, 60Hz).

If I plug Apple TV direct to the TV (Samsung MU7040 UHD Premium), I can get 4K HDR. I wondered whether I needed faster HDMI cables but before I fork out for that, there would be no point if the AV receiver can't handle HDR.

Also, does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware for this receiver?

goddardicus

Novice Member
Changed the HDMI leads to the approved Apple Belkin 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision compatible.

The Pioneer is having none of it. I've asked Pioneer support for an answer, but still waiting (since Nov 10th) to see if they be bothered answering.

My hunch is that the Pioneer can handle 4K but just cannot handle HDR passthrough, and that no firmware upgrade is possible. My recommendation to anyone wanting to purchase this receiver is to give it a miss and go for something that can either handle the new tech or can be upgraded.

If anyone has anything else to add to this please do.

goddardicus

Novice Member
Confirmed from Pioneer, the VSX S310 does not accept HDR signals. Also, the firmware cannot be upgraded.

Time to save for a new receiver that is future proof to an extent. Any ideas out there?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom