Pioneer VSX-LX70 home theatre amp

banyantree

I have a Velodyne sub connected to my Pioneer VSX-LX 70 amplifier via LFE In and OUT. The sub sounds incredible when watching movies however i dont appear to hear anything from it when i playback music.
Is this something to do with my amp settings or do i need to also connect with the stereo line inputs on my amp?

Appreciate any assistance on this.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
There isn't a lot of LFE in stereo music anyway but it just so happens I'm sitting here listening to music throughout the house and the sub is pumping away. My Denon Receiver sends .1 in all the music modes I use i.e. DIRECT/PURE DIRECT and 5CH STEREO. It also works in STEREO mode which I don't use. This applies to any of my music sources, both analogue and digital. I'm pretty sure your Pioneer also supports .1 in STEREO mode.

The first thing I would check is your bass management settings. Are your speakers set to small or large? If set to large is the LFE sent to both the fronts and the sub? Double check your crossover settings too while you're at it.

Just curious but you said that you have connected your receiver to your sub via both LFE in and out? The standard way to connect a sub is a subwoofer cable going from the sub woofer pre-out to either one of the inputs on the subwoofer. It doesn't matter which. I notice you have two subs in your signature. I presume you're using a Y splitter to split the subwoofer output to both subs?

banyantree

thanks for the feedback. i am usign the other sub in my bedroom stereo set up.
the sub is connected via subwoofer cable from the pre out to the subs input.
I remember it workign before on music before i moved house but it only worked on 5,1 set up and not on direct or pure direct. However this is not happenning now. It might be the crossover. Could you advise me how to adjust this on the amp?

Thanks.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You will need to go into the amp's setup menu. The manual should explain how to do this.

Go to Manual Sp Setup
Speaker Setting
Adjust speakers to SMALL
Adjust the crossover to reflect the lowest frequency your speakers can handle. I would use 80Hz as a starting point. Your speaker manual should confirm the frequency response.

Edit - Just noticed from your sig that you only have the E83's listed. Are you using a 2.1 setup? Not that it makes any difference.

Also have a read of the sticky post at the top of this forum re. Bass Management.

banyantree

thanks for the advice. I'm using a 7.1 set up. Previously when i got the sub to work with music it was a 5.1 set up.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Can you please help me of how to setup my VSX-LX70 with BDPlx52 to get sound from HDMI TRUEHD?

Check your player is set to bitstream. Visit the bluray players or Pioneer forums, there is bound to be an owners thread somewhere that will have the settings so you can compare them so you can see Dolby True HD on your receiver.

rozzar

to the OP- you need to make sure the sub is set to 'plus' on the on-screen speaker setup menu, not just 'yes'

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom