Pioneer VSX-LX302 - Disappointing sound

MSL92

Standard Member
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and could use advice from any Pioneer VSX-LX302 owners.
I replaced my Denon AVR-1911 with this Pioneer in 2018. I have never been satisfied with the sound quality, clarity or imaging of the Pioneer compared with the Denon. I have an Aperion 5.1 set up with towers in front, sub, center, and ceiling-mounted surrounds. I even upgraded the center speaker because the dialogue was being overwhelmed by the other sound. This did not help. Very disappointing. Any advice on set up of the Pioneer would be welcome, but I am now shopping for my next Denon AVR.

Thanks,
Matt

CaptainJames

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and could use advice from any Pioneer VSX-LX302 owners.
I replaced my Denon AVR-1911 with this Pioneer in 2018. I have never been satisfied with the sound quality, clarity or imaging of the Pioneer compared with the Denon. I have an Aperion 5.1 set up with towers in front, sub, center, and ceiling-mounted surrounds. I even upgraded the center speaker because the dialogue was being overwhelmed by the other sound. This did not help. Very disappointing. Any advice on set up of the Pioneer would be welcome, but I am now shopping for my next Denon AVR.

Thanks,
Matt
I have had several Pioneer AVRs, the last one being an SX-LX79. While I note yours is more towards the budget/midrange end, I have always found the Pioneers to sound excellent.

Try re- running that MACACC again, and then tweaking the centre channel volume +2db.

MSL92

Standard Member
I have had several Pioneer AVRs, the last one being an SX-LX79. While I note yours is more towards the budget/midrange end, I have always found the Pioneers to sound excellent.

Try re- running that MACACC again, and then tweaking the centre channel volume +2db.
Thanks Captain,
I have done just that: reran the MACACC several times and wind up needing to boost the center channel. The result is not impressive. Flat sound without dimension. I think the mid-range Denons are much stronger in clarity and 3D sound than the midrange Pioneers. I remember when I first hooked up the Denon, I thought sounds coming from the system were in my room.

So, for a 5.1 set up, would the X3700H be overkill? I'm between that and the X2700H. Looking forward to that great Denon sound again!
Thanks,
Matt

CaptainJames

Thanks Captain,
I have done just that: reran the MACACC several times and wind up needing to boost the center channel. The result is not impressive. Flat sound without dimension. I think the mid-range Denons are much stronger in clarity and 3D sound than the midrange Pioneers. I remember when I first hooked up the Denon, I thought sounds coming from the system were in my room.

So, for a 5.1 set up, would the X3700H be overkill? I'm between that and the X2700H. Looking forward to that great Denon sound again!
Thanks,
Matt
Not overkill at all. I use one for my 5.1.2 system and it works well.

gibbsy

No. The X3700 will give you more headroom, has the better Audyssey XT32 over the basic XT on the X2700. In addition the X3700 has a full set of pre-outs which means you could easily hook up a power amp if you felt the need. So much more flexibility with the X3700. No such thing as overkill, just an eye on the future.

MSL92

Standard Member
Not overkill at all. I use one for my 5.1.2 system and it works well.
Gents, I picked up the 3700 yesterday and I am really liking what I am hearing. Much richer, deeper sound. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with.
1. Audio delay: when I first started watching, there was a significant delay until I googled it and found the audio delay controls. I think I have the sound and picture synched pretty well, but now I'm very conscious of the fact that they can be out of synch and constantly check to see if the sound/pic are synched. Do you have any recommendations on synching the sound and picture?
2. Heat: Wow, this thing gets hot! I have it in a cabinet that has a lot of breathing room, but with the door closed it gets really hot. I was looking at some AC Infinity fans on Amazon yesterday. Let me know how you manage the heat.
3. Spotify Connect: Great feature, but as read in some reviews, the connection is a little glitchy which causes the sound to jump.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the 3700. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom