Pioneer VSX-D912

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SKA.face, Mar 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on this reciever? I've seen one for 450€uros which seems a decent enough price,so was wondering what peoples opinions of it were,it will be used 95% of the time for A/V so I'm not too fussed how it sounds stereo wise,just looking for good A/V involvement,reliabilty is also very important,and well built,I would chose it over the Yamaha,denons etc as it matches colour wise well with the KEF eggs,and Loewe TV,bit vainy, but looks are important aswell.

So whats people thoughts on it? thanxs.

2. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Not sure if you are in the UK but Super-Fi are doing these in store @ £300.

3. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope,not in the UK,but 450€ is £300 so not a bad price,just wonderd about reliability issues, and A/V performance don't care for stereo side of things.

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    awesome bit of kit

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    You'd be better off saving a bit more for the VSX-AX3-S as it is built much better than the 912 which is a bit shoddy in my opinion.

6. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanxs for the thoughts,in what way would you say it's not well built Crusty? Components used or the chassis? I believe the 812 is plastic and the 912 is metal faced?

I don't think it can be much worse than my Loewe DVD player,complete biscuit tin.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I haven't had any direct experience of the 812 but the 912 is very plasticky. I'm sure the components are up to scratch but the external build quality is well below par compared to other machines in the same price range. I am also of the belief that attention to detail in the external finish is usually reflective of the standard if finish internally.

8. Trojan

Trojan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    Hi
    I have the 912 and think its a great bit of kit for the money. It also depends on the size of the room and how loud you want to go because having all that power is fine with the more powerful receivers but will you ever use it. The build quaility looks fine to me but I did buy it for how it sounds more than how it looks because it is a receiver and not a painting. Also people saying that it is not a good receiver because of the build and who probably have not heard it in action is very funny to me. At the end of the day only your ears can tell you what is best for you.:laugh:

9. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanxs for your thoughts guys,Crusty,maybe the exterior has to be like this to make savings somewhere along the line,so it can be marketed at its price point to sell,if the exterior was more lavish cost would have gone up,making it not so competitive,but I agree most A/V amps i see around that price point feel feeble,taky buttons,and budget feelto the volume control,so for all that for £300 odd i'm not expecting miracle.

Trojan,the rooms about 25m so not looking for massive power,just something that sounds fun for the few films I rent out at the weekends,so as long as it sounds good and reliable are my main concerns.

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    For about £300 you could get the Marantz SR5400 which is built like a tank compared to anything else at that price point.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    SKA.face, in which country are you in?

Crustyloafer, I'm asking him where he is because e.g. in Germany, the Marantz are expensive unlike UK (for once), 600euros. Otherwise it is a powerhouse for only 260pounds!!!

The new Yamaha series should be a belter, the good news it comes in bright silver - 750, and 650/750 has YPOA (automatic room calibration like Pioneer's MCACC, but it is a simplified version compared with Yamaha 1400/2400), DPLIIx, more power, better internal components, and some other minor features.

The difference between 750 and 650 are LCD learning remote, marginal more watts, upconversion from composite to component signals (650 only up to s-video) and phono input. Prices in Europe are not announced yet.

Press

But if you can't wait, then 912 for 450euros is an excellent price and should be more than enough to drive your room - see the english version test of 912 from the German areadvd - 912

Have you thought about the Kenwood KRF-V9070D? Loads of top results in Germany - and a price very similar to 912, but you get THX and proper powerhouse and quite silverish - reviewsandspecs

Or Onkyo TX-SR601E - also powerhouse, good sound, features and top tests and again quite silverish ( picture ) - onkyo at again very similar price as Pioneer 912 in Germany.

Obviously, I only made the assumption that you were in Germany, but if you are in another country, you could still get Kenwood and Onkyo for below 500euros shipped from e.g. www.hificomponents.de

Wasabi

12. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I searched and searched for a reciever to replace my Sony STRDB930 and settled on the 912.
    I do not have a single regret. I am very pleased with the sound and I have no concerns about the build quality but then again it is as the man said not a painting...

13. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wasabi,

Actually I'm in Spain,and you are indeed correct regarding the prices of Marantz kit.

I'm actually going to get it though from the German company Redcoon,who actually operate in Spain which is handy,plus I dont have to pay them till the goods arrive at my door,which is good also,as German companies don't seem to like credit cards,and i'm not making a bank transfer as they rip you off big time.So it was about 14 Euros for delievery,so all in all not a bad deal.

I just hope it's reliable and fun sound,as im not fussed on it's stereo performance as that is completely seperate.

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    SKA.face

I had a feeling that you were either in Germany or Spain, and if it was Spain I had redcoon in mind ;p

I have recommended them in this thread in Dec - dec

You'll find there are 2 other fellas also in Spain ;p

Enjoy your super system!

Wasabi

15. toohuge

toohuge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I own a Pioneer 912 receiver, it is awesome. The only complaint is the 6 channel amp, not 7 channel. The amp works very well under all circumstances make sure you have a good subwoofer as if you use the MCACC and you have a weak sub it will not use it!