1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-D8505 Blown Front Channel?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by snownskate, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. snownskate

snownskate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all noob to the avforums here, but not to home theatre in general. I am having a problem with my VSX-D850S. I get a loud intermittent fuzz/crackle through anything on my front channels.

I have isolated it to this by the following:

>Hooked up speakers to just the front channels (A or B)
    >Tried many different modes (surround, stereo, etc.) as well as different inputs.
    >Tried using the front channel preout and sending the signal to an additional amp.

I have looked at fuses inside, and I see 2 that look ok; should there be more?

One of my optical cables broke off inside the reciever about the same time this started happening (but not sure if exactly the same time). I was able to remove the entire plug, but is there any way that this could be causing some kind of weird interference?

Thank you all for your help in advance. I ordered a projector yesterday and would love to have my reciever up by the time it gets here!:D

Jake

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Similar problem...

How LOUD will the Pioneer AX5Ai go? I know it has 120 watts per channel and my speakers are all 100 watts per channel - but when I listened to a film last night (GODSEND) it was clipping and making loud "clicking/crackling" noises!

It must be able to go louder than this right? I have it set up via I-Link and multi-channel with all speakers set to LARGE.

3. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    How LOUD will the PROAC Response 2's go? I know that my PIONEER AX5Ai amp goes to 120 watts per channel (7 channels) and my PROAC Response 2 speakers are all 100 watts per channel - but when I listened to a film last night (GODSEND) it was clipping and making loud "clicking/crackling" noises!

It must be able to go louder than this right? I have it set up via I-Link and multi-channel with all speakers set to LARGE.

Any ideas what is happening? WILL I damage my speakers?

How will I KNOW that they are damaged or not?

Please help! :lease:

4. snownskate

snownskate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...kind of similiar. The difference is I can't get any clean sound out of the front channels at all. It always has some kind of static sound that overpowers the normal output.

Do you (or anyone else) know how to reset these recievers? Any Pioneer A/V recievers resetting instructions would be helpful as I cannot find this anywhere in the manual or on the web.

The only instruction I have found on this is to do the following:

>With reciever on push and hold the tone button.
    >Now hold the on/standby button until the LCD reads RESET
    >Press tone once, LCD should prompt are you sure, hit tone again.

I have done this without success (I could never get the RESET to appear).

I have also read that this could be a blown IC, how could I go about checking this out?

Thanks again

5. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    louder than what?

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    My speakers are PROAC Response 2's. They are 8 ohm, 100 WATTS and 88 sensitivity (I think). I'm using a PIONEER 868 DVD Player connected to a PIONEER AX5Ai receiver via I-Link. The PIONEER AX5Ai is set to -15 on the main volume and any louder causes the cracks and clicks. The set-up is 5 speaker - 2 'LARGE' main speakers (left and right), 1 'LARGE' centre speaker, 2 'SMALL' rear speakers (with I assume the low bass filtered off the main speakers). I also have an old subwoofer (REL Stadium) which is used in conjunction with the MAIN speakers as it doesn't have an LFE input.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The speakers seem to have survived but it scared the living daylights out of me!!!!! :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

7. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    My speakers are PROAC Response 2's. They are 8 ohm, 100 WATTS and 88 sensitivity (I think). I'm using a PIONEER 868 DVD Player connected to a PIONEER AX5Ai receiver via I-Link. The PIONEER AX5Ai is set to -15 on the main volume and any louder causes the cracks and clicks. The set-up is 5 speaker - 2 'LARGE' main speakers (left and right), 1 'LARGE' centre speaker, 2 'SMALL' rear speakers (with I assume the low bass filtered off the main speakers). I also have an old subwoofer (REL Stadium) which is used in conjunction with the MAIN speakers as it doesn't have an LFE input.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The speakers seem to have survived but it scared the living daylights out of me!!!!! :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

8. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Your volume control does not increase the wattage from zero to 120 watts it it actually controls the gain applied to the signal. The amp then supplies the wattage needed to produce the amplified sound.

I would suspect that you are either (or combination of the two):

1. Driving your amp too hard (the volume pot setting is irrelevant) causing it to clip upsetting your speakers.

2. Your speakers may handle peaks of 100w but sustained levels of 50w may be more suitable and/or they cannot handle the amount of bass you are trying to push through them.

9. snownskate

snownskate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thread hijack MJEEVES. My problem does not have to do with power handling at all. This is a constant problem with any speakers I try. I am pretty sure there is something blown and I would rather not spend the $50 to take it to a local shop and have them tell me that it needs to be reset. I am also not afraid to take out the tester and start testing circuits but I have no idea what to test.

10. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Sorry buddy. Not sure how to help. A Pioneer repair looks like the only way I think.

11. snownskate

snownskate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem M.J. By the absense of replies on this topic it looks like that is what I am going to have to do, or buy new which is probably the route I will take.