Pioneer VSX-D812 vs Yamaha DSP-E800

kipper15

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to add an AV amp/receiver/processor to my existing stereo hi-fi system, along with the necessary extra speakers and sub. This will be for DVD, as well as multi-channel music (I have a Pioneer DV-656A for SACD and DVD-A).

My current hi-fi system is based around Arcam CD/amp & B&W speakers. My hi-fi amp is the Arcam A75, which has an AV processor switch, fixing the gain when connected to an external AV amp, allowing the Arcam amp to carry on driving the front 2 speakers whilst an external AV amp drives the centre and rears.

Originally I intended to buy the Yamaha DSP-E800 and connect it to the Arcam amp. This looks like a simple, cost-effective way of adding multi-channel amplification to an exsiting stereo setup.

However, I've noticed that the DSP-E800 doesn't have ProLogic II and appears to have been around a while. It also looks quite dated in terms of spec.

As an alternative option I've been looking at full-blown AV receivers with pre-out capabilities, so that the Arcam A75 can still drive the front 2 speakers. The Pioneer VSX-D812 would seem to fit the bill nicely and is not much more money than the Yamaha unit, as well as having a much more updated spec.

Presumably the Arcam/Pioneer combination will be just as good, if not better, than the Arcam/Yamaha comination I was originally considering.

Any comments?

Depends what you want really. I have the Yamaha added on to my Linn Majik/LK140 and it does a pretty good job. It's fairly basic in terms of formats though, with only DD/DPL/DTS - no EX/ES/DPLII.

I'd probably go for a more modern receiver and take it's pre-outs into your Arcam, that's certainly what I'm planning to do.

Thanks...that's what I thought. As long as the amp/receiver has the necessary preouts and multichannel inputs for the SACD/DVD-A, I'll be OK. Looks like the VSX-D812 has just what is needed.

or Yamaha RXV640 of course

Originally posted by rozzar
or Yamaha RXV640 of course

Indeed. Except I'd probably want to hide it!!! The VSX-D812 is certainly more aesthetically pleasing and would be a good match for my Pioneer DV-656. Will certainly bear the Yamaha in mind though.

Hi Kipper15
I have a Pio 812 and aPio 565a. I am very pleased with it. My dvd player is connected with a coax. cable as well as the six phono cables for SACD or DVDA.
Gerry

I would thoroughly recommend the 812. It's very straightforward and user friendly and it looks nice. My mate has a Yammy 640 but I don't like it much. I'm not saying it doesn't do the job but it looks kinda ugly the setting up is very confusing at times. He's had it for 2 months now and he's still pondering over it. Far too many sub menus for him. TBH, I think he's having second thoughts about it and now fancies going for a Denon.

Originally posted by iaria
Hi Kipper15
I have a Pio 812 and aPio 565a. I am very pleased with it. My dvd player is connected with a coax. cable as well as the six phono cables for SACD or DVDA.
Gerry

Looking at the pdf of the manual for the 812 (downloaded from the Pioneer site), I am a little confused by one thing. Do you connect the 'surround' speakers in 5.1 mode to the speaker inputs marked 'surround' or 'surround back'? I presume if it's a 5.1 setup you use the 'surround' speaker inputs, right?

Originally posted by Malabbey
I would thoroughly recommend the 812. It's very straightforward and user friendly and it looks nice. My mate has a Yammy 640 but I don't like it much. I'm not saying it doesn't do the job but it looks kinda ugly the setting up is very confusing at times. He's had it for 2 months now and he's still pondering over it. Far too many sub menus for him. TBH, I think he's having second thoughts about it and now fancies going for a Denon.

Sounds like the 812 is the one to go for :)

Originally posted by deckard
Depends what you want really. I have the Yamaha added on to my Linn Majik/LK140 and it does a pretty good job. It's fairly basic in terms of formats though, with only DD/DPL/DTS - no EX/ES/DPLII.

I'd probably go for a more modern receiver and take it's pre-outs into your Arcam, that's certainly what I'm planning to do.

Yeah, the Yamaha DSP-E800 would do the job I'm sure but it's looking rather dated now in terms of spec. I was thinking of the Pioneer 712 but that would be no good as there are no preouts for the front two speakers, hence looking at the 812 which does have the required preouts.

The surround 'backs' are for the 6.1 setup or the 7 speaker setup. Still a cracking amp the 812.

Originally posted by Dfour
The surround 'backs' are for the 6.1 setup or the 7 speaker setup. Still a cracking amp the 812.

Thanks...I'm now more convinced than ever that the 812 will be be the best bet for my budget.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom