1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-D812 surround back speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by delyan, Jan 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer VSX-D812 and a 7.1 speaker setup. I recently added the surround back speakers and when I perform the MCACC (Manual Calibration.....), the test tone from the surround back speakers comes out very, very weak even when the volume is at max. Do you guys have any idea why this is happening? I am using 30 ft of 16 gauge wire to each of the surround back speakers and was wondering if the wire resistance is the problem! :rolleyes:

2. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    delyan,

don't know if it's like my 1011 but, if it is, then you have to go into setup and tell the amp that you have surround back speakers connected.

Leander

3. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leander,
    thanks for the reply, but I think that I already programmed the amp for 7.1 speakers and still don't get a decent signal from the back. On D812, you can do this at the beginning with the "quick setup". My next step is to use very short wire and see if the problem is the wire resistance.

4. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I think that I am right in thinking that on the D812/D912 the rear channels are split with 7.1 - there are only 6 power amps in the unit and the rear centre is shared if you have 2 rears. I could be completely wrong about this, but I think that's the way it works. I wouldn't have thought it would cause the rears to sound 'really weak' though...

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85

Your right about only having 6 amps and splitting the sixth channel. You need easily driven speakers otherwise the sixth amp will struggle and that is what it sounds like is happening.

6. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour,
    What do you mean by "easily driven spearers"? I am not very familiar with the tech names.
    D812 has 7.1 input and 6.1 output, which means that the surround back speakers are mono, but the problem is that the mono signal is very, very weak.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I meant that you need 8 Ohm or higher speakers with a high sensitivity (i believe) that require less wattage to drive. Better running 2 speakers that only take 50-75 watts then 2 that take 100-200 watts.

What speakers are you running as you have no signiture and havent mentioned them? Have you tried with just a single rear and seen what sort of output you get then try with 2 rears? To be honest you dont really need 7 speakers unless you have a large room .6.1 is (normally) perfectly acceptable :D:devil:

8. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the 2 surround back speakers I have small Sonys that I took from an older surround system. On my amp, I setup the surround back channels as small speakers, but even if I set it up as large speakers, there is no change at all. The test tone that comes out the amp is very weak. Not to mention that nothing comes out when watching 6.1 movies.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Check what OHM the sony's are because if they are 4 or 6 that could be the problem. What happons if you just use 1?

10. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the same Sonys for my surround speakers (not surround back) and they have normal signal. For the center and front speakers I have Klipsch and Athena (all large speakers).
    I haven't tried 1 surround back speaker yet! Why would this make any difference?

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Because 2 speakers off one amp will halve the ammount of power suplied to each speaker . Have you tried one speaker yet ? Try it and see if it works better.

12. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Extremely unlikely for speaker impedance to be a problem. Even with both the speakers wired in series the volume should still be perfectly adequate (unless of course one or both of the speakers or cables is faulty).

If the speakers were 4 Ohm then of course the amp would be delivering the power equivalent to a single 8 Ohm speaker, i.e. more power than if the speakers were 8 Ohms each, not less.

Does the MCACC test recognise the presence of the rear speakers during setup, i.e. does it stop the test with an error or simmilar?

13. delyan

delyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeRJ,
    Yes, the MCACC test recognizes the two rear surround speakers, but the test tone that comes out the two rear speakes is very, very weak. I can only hear it when I am 1 inch from the speakers. All other speakers are OK.