1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer vsx-d811 any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by avmunster, Mar 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. avmunster

avmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im looking for an amp to match my pioneer 656a dvd player...

Was looking at marantz and yamaha - but saw this which looks
    quite nice and would match my dvd nicely.

anyone auditioned one or got one?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Picked one up a week ago on the advice of 7oaks, to potentially replace my Yamaha 630 (It's the only bit of black kit I have left so it doesn't match and Titanium 630s are like hens teeth)

Definitely better looking than the 630 (I have a 656 too by the way and they match perfectly).

Defiinitely more gas in the tank than the 630 & has 7.1 ready to go (not a big deal to my mind), dialogue reproduction seems better.
    Set up is a bit more painful than the 630 (not a big deal tho). It's not as DSP orientated as the Yamaha but to my mind thats a good thing.

So the $64,000,000 question - am I going to keep it? I think I will, I don't want to blow a huge amount on an AV amp (7oaks will let me have this one for £325), it meets the style requirements and it sounds very good with movies.

Stereo wise, I haven't tried it as I use a Rotel integrated amp for CDs & Radio (pioneer has pre-out but so do the others you are considering) , but I have been reliably informed that it's "pretty good" - but it is an av amp so I wouldn't expect too much. I can say that the Yamaha is unlikely to be a great deal better though.

No idea about the Marantz, except that they have a fine reputation.

I recommend you audition one. There aren't any great deals around on these as they seem to be very popular so you local hifi dealer won't be far out of line with the box shifters.

HTH