1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-D711 v Marantz SR5200 v Yamaha DSP-AX630SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tuttonp, Jan 27, 2003.

1. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm stuck. After missing out on a S/H Yamaha A2 and an AX2 it looks like my list has narrowed down to the following

Pioneer VSX-D711 - DPLII, Virtual 6.1, 100wpc and Midnight listening. All of which appeal to me

Marantz SR5200 - Always regarded as a good amp and the S/H one I'm looking at is a good price. Pro's v Con's ?????

Yamaha DSP-AX630SE - No idea about this one, spec looks good on paper never seen any reviews tough.

Anyone got any of the above and care to comment onnathe merits/minus points ??

Thanks in advance for looking in

Tuttonp

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi! No idea about the Pioneer, but after the mini hi-fi I had when younger, and experience the change to a non-american sound, I will not go back to it. Too boosted bass, lack of definition... but of course, it was not a fine piece of a kit...
    About the Marantz, good for music, of course, but lacking on specs because it is an older model. In adition, there is some problem with delays when "loading" the sound after changing chapter of a dvd, etc. It is completely def 2 seconds at least.
    The Yam, new model, very good in specs, and it is not virtual 6.1 but real one. Review:
    http://www.totaldvd.net/reviews/har...t/reviews/Amplifiers/Yamaha/YamahaAX630SE.php
    Powered enough and very good for music and cinema, maybe better for the latter. I have a Yam 530, small brother, and I am very satisfied. For music may sound better the Marantz (actually, most of people say it does sound better), but it has that technical problem, and the lack of specs. I would go for the Yam, unless you want to consider the MArantz 5300, which is supposed to bring all the new sound formats, and have the problems of the previous model completely fixed, although you can find here people that have also experienced the problem.
    Another choice I took into consideration when I bought was the HArman-Kardon 2550 (or 3550, if you are better funded than me), which is supposed to be balanced between music and cinema abilities, but for my taste has horrible looks.
    One person that posted his opininon here demoed the Yam 630 against the Sony 1080, and went for the Sony because he liked more the sound on the front although there was not enough rear sound, he was sure he could fix that with the settings. But many people think that in Sony you pay a good amount of money just for the logo...
    I hope it helps!

3. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cribeiro - Thanks for posting. Of course as is my luck as soon as I posted this thread both the SR5200 and the 630SE were sold!!.

So now I'm looking to see if I can justify spending another £90 on the Pioneer VSX-D811. I know it offers 6.1, etc but I only have and will only ever have a 5.1 setup so is it spending money for something I'm never going to use ???

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well, as I said, I cannot tell you much about the Pioneer, sorry!
    But I would search more in internet, I am sure you can find it for a similar place somewhere... Do not rush into a decision, it is a lot of money! You should visit shops, demo all your options together if possible, even with your own speakers or similar (because if you want to be picky, even that matters)... Do you already know which speakers you will use?
    You know, an extra speaker can come always, never say nevermore... But of course, I wouldn't spend money in something I will not use... On the other side, if you start to go up there to high quality receivers, all of them will have that...
    Good luck!

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tuttonp

I recently purchased a 4300 (50/50 music/hc) for musical abilities and because it was supposed to be sorted with the delay problem. Unfortunately still had the delay problem and IMHO the musical ability wasn't all that good.

Returned it to RS and got the DSP AX630 - very happy now - £270 or there abouts. It is as good (if not better) as the Marant with music, excellent with movies DPL II, DD-EX, DTS-ES discrete + DSP modes if u use them. One thing with Marantz the setup was a little easier than the yammy but nothing significant and it NEO 6 & CS II (very similar to DPL II - IMHO).

Hope it helps.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7th Guest - Thanks for the comments. Looks like the Yammy 630SE may still be available. So it's a toss up betwen a 630 and the Pioneer. I'm now confused about these new formats, I had set out to buy a replacement 5,1 amp on the grounds there is no physical way I can add any more speakers in our small living room!!. Now the Pioneer offers DD, DTS, DPLII and 'Virtual 6.1', and the Yamaha offers DD, DTS, DPLII, Dolby Digital EX and is 'DTS -ES compatible', is the Yamaha just offering more than I need and I should save my money ??. What is 'discrete' is this another way of saying virtual or something completely different ??

8. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    You can find here lots of information about it:
    http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml

Virtual means that your two rears simulate a center rear. Discrete means that your amp has a center rear channel amp, and you can connect thus an extra speaker.
    I don't think that you pay for something you will not use. The 630 has 6.1, but if you don't want it, you may go for the 530, which I have. The difference, apart from that, is that it has a little bit less power (I don't think it will be a problem), and that the 530 doesn't have TOPArt circuitery, which is supposed to improve even more the quality of the sound. Now, you choose. As I said, I wouldn't go for Pioneer, but I haven't demoed it. What I am sure is that you will be very satisfied with any of these two Yamaha's.

9. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    In the same site, I found something about the Yam 630. I think it is better...

http://electronics.cnet.com/electro...6342373-1304-8365442.box.6342373-1318-8365442

Check out the second comment (the first is c**p), you may go to the indicated web site...
    The price rate in dollars (I guess they are more expensive in europe...) of the Yam is comparable not to the Pioneer you have in mind, but to its big brother, so maybe you should compare the Pioneer you mention with the Yam 530.
    Ah! One recomendation that someone gave me in this forum is not to trust much the opinions of USA buyers, if you read the first review in that web site, you will find a good example...
    Since Pioneer is from USA, I think that they can also be biased in favour of them instead of Yamaha, which is japanese, isn't?

11. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I thought Pioneer was Japanese?

12. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    WEll, I am not sure, but I have been told it was american... Where to check it?

13. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if Pioneer is american than i am chinese! Pioneer is japanese and the 711 is a fine brand new AV receiver from Pioneer, i received mine and its brilliant!
    Dutchie

14. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I am afraid you are completely right! One cannot any longer trust friends... I checked in their website.
    That is kind of weird, because I have a Pioneer hifi system at home, and doesn't fit into the description of japanese sound, which is coloured, but rather in the american one, which is punching. Maybe they became american? Anyway, this shows that there is always something to learn. And of course, no generalization can be absolutely stated, I know it, I am a physicist. Thanks!
    Have you compared your amp to any others? I am interested, and I think that tuttonp even more. How would you define the sound? Did you compare it to your older one? I compared mine, and was pleased because of the improvement in sound, with the same source and speakers. The old was sony, and the new, yamaha. Yes, both japanese :)

15. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following is my experience to date with the VSX-D711 AV receiver from Pioneer. I am no expert ., so i apologize upfront for any "silly" remarks. These are merely my own observations. I upgraded from the SR4200..why? I didnt like the ergonomics of the Marantz nor did i liked the clumsy remote control that came with it! We mainly use our AV receiver to watch DVDs and hardy play any CDs on the machine. I also looked at the Denon/Yamaha and Onkyo.

Ergonomics of the 711
    I like the uncluttered facia of the machine, all little switches and buttons are hidden behind the "flap". The built quality is very good, everything feels very solid.

Setting-up the 711
    Easy, a friend of mine helped me to wire everything up and after using the quick set-up menu we were ready to give the receiver a try! The 711 is very user friendly

Sound and vision
    Very good. I think the sound has more oempfff than the Denon/Onkyo/Marantz at my SR4200 (which i thought was already pretty good). Bass is very nice and there are enough set-ups within the receiver to enhance the sound quality. I liked the midnight listening..handy when you have kids like we have!

There are also various "sound modes" like pro-logic,Pro-logic 2 movie, Pro logic 2 music, which one can use to add depth to a 2 channel source. I think it worked pretty well.

There are also advance surround modes: They are to be used with multichannel surround sound/visual sources like DVD.
    Modes are: movie, music, virtual surround back which simulates surround channel listening like Dolby Surround EXx or DTS-ES.
    Expanded: used to give more depth to stereo sounds.

For me listening to a receiver is mainly a matter of taste: i really like the 711, its well built, easy to operate and its great with DVDs. They are hard to get as they are pretty new on the market. I got mine from LE concepts and i can recommend anyone to give this receiver a try!

I use this receiver with a Pioneer DV454 KEF Eggs and a KEF Subwooferon a Philips 100hrz PW9616 28" television, to be replaced shortly with a Hitachi plasma.

Dutchie

16. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutchie - Thanks for the heads up and the first impressions. Ordered mine from QED this morning ,hopefully should have it early next week!!. Let me know if you ever decide to flog your KEF egg's sounds like a great combo.