Pioneer VSX-D510 + Jamo E 470 To be or not to be?

Vik's

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 AV receiver. It's rated at 80w+80w at 8 ohms (front). So, I have just purchased Jamo E 470 front. The spec states these speakers are 4 ohms.
But! The speaker connections on the back of receiver indicate that you can use speakers with 8-16 ohms impedence.

Do they match together? Is VSX-D510 "strong" enough?

Many thanks for any help!

Originally posted by Vik's
Do they match together? Is VSX-D510 "strong" enough?

I'd say no. Those Jamo's are big 3-way speakers and appear to be quite power-hungry. You're likely going to under-drive them with your amp and damage them through clipping. Upgrade your amp to something from HK or NAD to ensure it can drive 4 ohm speakers properly.

4ohms is a heavier load on an amp than 8ohms.

Today I got my hands on them, and label on backside of them states these speakers are 4-8 ohms. Is this sounds better?

My previous post still stands I'm afraid. :(

If you want to turn the amp up to a good volume, you will put strain on it. Sorry.

How about these options then: CERWIN VEGA! V-6F, CERWIN VEGA! V-10F, GALE 3040

Personaly, I just love Cerwin Vega!, but any comments are welcome.

Espesially Gale? What about them?

Vik's - go round the back of the speakers and check they are 8 ohm. Not 4 ohm, not 6 ohm - just 8 ohm. These you can drive to high volumes without damaging them or your amp.

Gales should be fine, most are 8 ohm. I'm afraid the only Cerwin Vega's I know are the ones in Ministry of Sound, so can't help you there unfortunately.
:(

Find a friendly dealer and go demo. :)

Thank you for help!
Just dropped the idea with Jamo and bought Cerwin Vega! V-6F and at the same time reserved V-10F or V12F. And now I'm really happy! There's almost no need for sub even with V-6F (10-140W/8Ohm/91dB/6" bass/1"discant)!!!

And Gale seems a little bit cheap built to me... But much better then some crap from Aiwa, Philips etc. of course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom