Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer VSX D2011 V Denon AVR3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by powder40, Jun 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering how these two amps compare. Thinking about buying one or the other. Just looking for different members opinon's thats all.

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You will prob be able to get the denon at more places than the pioneer...the pioneer seem to be selling well and dealers are haveing a hard time trying to get hold of them.

Dont think you can really compare the 2 as they are both good amps(recivers) and as such, both have there strengths and weeknesses.
    I went for the denon, as i have always wanted to try the denon stuff and am well pleased with it....plus was thinking about buying a plasma, so the audio delay could come in handy.

I have not heard the pioneer, so cannot comment on how it sounds......but if you do a search, you will find loads of stuff on it.

I also perffered the denon style(looks) over the pioneer...i brought the 656 player, which is sort of the same style as the 2011 and have got board with looking at it, after only 4 months...do not like the bright silver finish...much perfer the denon gold, so will be replaceing it with a 2900 in the next couple of weeks (just hope it works as good).

As ever it is the old " go and listern for yourself".
    I brought the denon blind, as i do, most of my gear and i will with the 2900.
    So if you intend on buying blind, then have a good look and see which one you think you could spend the next couple of years looking at.

For me it is the denon gold..looks lovvvvvley, much better than that shinny silver pioneer colour...the 656 is starting to hurt my eyes, with the reflection it gives off...ha ha.

3. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've got the 2011 but demoed the Denon as well. They both sound great and IMO you can't go wrong with either. I went for the 2011 in the end because I didn't like the gold! (And the 2011 had the auto-setup which was nice)

4. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prices will of course will be a big factor has anyone seen either the Denon or the Pioneer at a good price

5. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Seen a Pioneer VSX2011??? Ha! Simply not available in the UK to the best of my ability to track one down. I've now decided to get my name on a waiting list and have paid a deposit to Robert Whyte Ltd. Price was excellent @ 679.99 +£14 delivery. Best guess for delivery is 6 weeks but who can tell??:confused:

6. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that there is not much difference in sound between the Pioneer VSX-D1011 and the Pioneer VSX-D2011. Been told there's not much in it at all. Will be using the amp for movie use only.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I've put a deposit down for one at Sevenoaks, I had second thoughts when they slapped a £900 price tag on it though. Pointed out their own website had it listed at £729.95, I'll give the company/employee the benefit of the doubt and not even consider that they tried to rip me off.

8. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    £729 is still way too high!! Robert Whyte is taking orders at £680

9. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    From what I've read on other threads, the 1011 has basically the same hardware inside but lacks the THX Select badge, Air Studios tuning and Auto set-up feature. This last one is pretty important as we will definitely not get the best out of either amp if they are not set up properly.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2011 gives you the AIR studios tuning and the auto set-up routine.

I have the 2011 and there is no way I'd be able to set it up to the level it manages itself. Sure, I have an SPL but that's only good for setting levels and OK, you can set delay/distances easy enough but the 2011 allows you to EQ each of the 7 channels - I can't see how you'd be able to do that by ear alone.

I had a Denon 2802 before and, although a great amp, I actually got bored with the retro styling and (to my eyes) cheap looking LED display. The Pioneer looks more solid and the display is much more informative, nice looking and able to be read from more than 6ft away.

I've heard the 3803 as well and it's also a great amp. You don't get THX processing though, if that's of any concern to you, but you do get video upsampling and the lip synch feature.

Maybe it's the brighter, more forward Pioneer sound Vs. the Denon's smoother, lusher sound but I have to say I prefer the clout and pin-point accuracy of the 2011.

Both amps are excellent though and both have their + and -.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

But I've never heard of Robert Whyte before and there is a Sevenoaks about 9 miles from my home so with this expense I would prefer to do business with a dealer.
    Certainly no problems with buying online but I'm not upto speed on AV Amps so I'm willing to pay a little extra and deal face to face with someone who is in the business.
    Obviously not everyones approach but works for me :)

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    7% extra to deal with somebody with a face is well worth the cost imho - much less hassle all round + once you get known in a shop you'll get an even higher standard of service. I have nothing but praise for my local 7oaks.

13. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How easy is the Auto Set Up on this model I better mention that I will be using the Pioneer to control Centre, Sub and rears. With My Musical Fidelity intergrated amp taking care of my fronts. So what I'm saying is, how easy will my system be to set up. By the way there is a chance of me picking up a Pioneer 1011 for £200 Don't know what to do so I need some advice. I take it that without the Auto Set Up on the 1011 I won't get anywhere near the same performance. But for the money would anyone go for the 1011. Tricky decision.

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd compare it to buying the 180bhp version of the Audi TT, it'll look similar, sound similar and do pretty much the same thing under normal circumstances but you'd always just know it wasn't the 225bhp version.

For the relatively small additional sum, the 2011 is the one to go for, if you can find one.

15. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    By the way there is a chance of me picking up a Pioneer 1011 for £200 Don't know what to do so I need some advice. I take it that without the Auto Set Up on the 1011 I won't get anywhere near the same performance. But for the money would anyone go for the 1011. Tricky decision. [/B][/QUOTE]

£200 is a bargain and presumably available immediately. mmm that's a tough one. £200 vs £700 for the 2011? I'd go for the 1011, sell it in a year or two for similar to what you paid and upgrade then!

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair, I'd buy the 1011 for £200, sell it on eBay for £400 and put the £200 I just made towards the 2011 :)

17. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Fair enough. Can't argue with that at all.

18. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

My 2011 is for sale in the classifieds.

john

19. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just for info

2011 vs 1011

1011 does not have component in/out or onscreen display.

At £200 a bargian though.

Gus

20. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain the auto set up function and how it works

21. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

You plug the mic in, press auto setup, go away for 10 mins then its all done. It plays a series of tones, bangs claps and sets delay freq response, speaker size, db difference between speakers.

John

22. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oaklandraiders
    Can I ask, why are you selling your 2011?

23. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

All the answers are in the classified bit, but probably going to get the AX10i

John

24. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thought you might....

25. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you see any problem when using Auto Set Up If I'm using the Pioneer only for the Centre Sub and Rear speakers, my MF will be taking care of the fronts. By the way does it set up the sub as well.

26. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've got the 2011 hooked up to a Arcam A85 and the auto setup takes care of both once you have roughly set the input gain the the A85. Don't know if this is what you are doing.....

And yes the Autosetup does do the sub but tends to get the distance wrong!

27. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a Home Theatre Direct Input connection on the MF so am I correct in saying you would take a connection from the Pioneer's Pre outs to these Inputs. And then the Auto Set-UP would balance all the speakers together.

28. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Sounds about right Power40.

29. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the Pioneer. To get the most out of this amp I take it you need to buy a third, centre rear speaker. Does any company make a complete set of three rear speakers.

30. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    To use the EX/ES modes ... you need 1 or 2 centre rear speakers. Some speaker manufacturers will send you 1 speaker ... but in most cases you'll have to buy 2 and try to sell the spare one - if you want only 1 speaker.

Vikki