1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-D2011 Possible Problem...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Apnomis, Jul 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I recently bought a Pioneer 2011. I tested it at my brother-in-law's house with his Kef speakers a week or so ago. He has Q55 fronts and Q35 rears. Now this weekend he noticed a rattling noise in one of his Q55's. He phoned up his dealer (they are still under warranty) and they said the speaker had blown. They explained the cause would be a loud or strong tone being passed through the speaker.

My brother-in-law thinks that the only thing that could have caused it would be the test tone on the Pioneer. Is that likely? I'm almost scared to use it again in case I blow mine, as I also use Kef Uni-Q speakers.

There is no warning about speaker damage in the instruction manual and no "use at your own risk" statement. Should I think twice about using the auto calibration again? My speakers aren't in warranty so it would be a bigger problem if one of them blew.

Shouldn't there be a warning on the Pioneer about it? These aren't cheap little speakers, and if it can blow them then what other damage can it do to smaller cheaper speakers? Would Pioneer be liable for any damage to my speakers as there is no warning in the instruction manual?

It didn't really seem that loud though, but it did make the cone move a lot.

Do you think that is what blew his speakers? Or is it just coincidence?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds horribly likely, I'm afraid. It's a beast of an amp, obviously speaker matching is critical, but I'd have considered those to be up to the job. I think test tones are not good for speakers, but they operate at THX reference level don't they? That's not horrifically loud. As to holding Pioneer liable, Rather you than me, unless you are a lawyer, and either know better or can act for yourself... See how it sounds without running the setup 1st, do the speakers show any signs of audio strain? Try some music, you'd stand a better chance of hearing distortion creeping in.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using the 2011 with Q55.2 fronts for around 4 months now. I've run the MCACC at least 5 times within that period and my speakers are fine.

The set-up tones aren't loud and they're also not particularly 'nasty' so I seriously doubt they'd blow drivers (certainly not of the Q55 standard anyway).

There are literally hundreds of these amps out there and I've not heard this complaint before. I think it's more likely your brother blew the speaker during normal listening but then noticed it only when running the set-up tones (as it would be easier to distinguish).

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The test tones on the 2011 are not very loud and there is no way they should damage your speakers unless they have not been correctly connected or are completely inappropriate for the amp (not the case in this instance).

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I had the same kinda trouble (I think with mine) - to explain a bit further, I've got a yamaha 620 av amp with Eltax speakers and the pioneer DV656a dvd player, I recently bought that 'Densen DeMagic CD ' and the next time I checked my system (I always leave it on 24*7) I could hear a crackle and hiss coming from both tweeters, so, I'm not entirely sure whats going on...I don't recall it happening before that...could be the mains, or perhaps the amp since it's affecting both tweeters...

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Logically juboy should be right there, maybe he's only noticed since he set the system up. I've installed about 30 of these amps, mostly in fact with KHT2005's, and had no trouble.

7. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Is the Pioneer VSX-D2011S perfectly suited to the KEF Eggs? I would have thought it was overkill.

Gary A

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well yes, but the client is often right. As I'm sure you are aware from this forum alone there are a few people who cannot be told a simple fact and take it in.

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let him know it wasn't my fault then!

He didn't notice the rattle during the test tone, it sounded fine then. It was two weeks after at the start of Jurrasic Park (the low thuds and growls seemed to really emphasise it).

He has been "playing" with it a lot lately and going louder because he's got a new Ixos interconnect to his CD that has made a really big difference to the sound quality. But he's not been thrashing them. But that is on his own system (Nad & Yamaha combo)

Besides the Pioneer is rated at 100w per channel and the Kef's are 150w, so is it even possible to blow these speakers even at full blast? (not that I would try that!)

So are we saying then that it would be impossible for the test tone of the Pioneer to blow his speakers? I mean if it can run fine with Kef Eggs then surely!

Is it perhaps possible that there was a weakness in the speaker that only became audible after the test tone?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Perhaps, but notice that it's not just power that damages sprakers, but the type of sound. If the test tone is innocuous, the same cannot be said of an amp driving itself to distortion. Running it at max. can be damaging even if within the speakers ability.

11. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't think the test tones were loud at all, and no, I'm not deaf!!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They don't appear that loud cerainly. I have no idea how much power is used to create them.

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering that the 2011 automatically winds the volume level to 0db whilst running the MCACC, the test tones actually sound very quiet.

I couldn't even begin to get close to playing a DVD at 0db on my 2011 for any length of time.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's well above my pain threshold too, wonder why the tones seem so quiet. Are they in a frequency where our hearing sensetivity is decreasing perhaps?

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so. If you run the MCACC equalisation the OSD shows you which frequency band it's been applied to - all of which are well within the 20hz-20khz band.

It surprised me the first time I ran the MCACC as the manual goes to great lengths to state how loud it's going to be... and then it isn't :confused:

16. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know LOL!

I was bracing myself when I pressed go!

I was half expecting to recreate that opening scene in Back to the Future :D

Oh well I'll put it down to a weakness in the manufacture of the speaker. In fact I did him a favour by discovering it for him before his warranty ran out! :D

Although I'm still not convinced it was the Pioneers fault ;)