Pioneer VSX-D2011 and Bose speakers... Are they a good combination?

P

Paul Howles

:confused: Hi, I'm going to buy the Pioneer VSX-D2011 and I'm thinking of teaming it up with the Bose Acoustimass 15 Series 2 speaker package. Will it work or are there better partners? And would it successfully upgrade to 6.1? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Good choice of amp although you could go for another speaker system. If you can stretch your budget, have a listen to the Mordant Short THX Select system that costs £1600. These would be a good match I think. They are very very big in size compared to the Bose AM15 and are a 5.1 set up so you would have to buy extra surround speakers.

The Pioneer already has the amplification for 7 speakers which includes the centre rear surrounds and you could upgrade in the future with those later on if funds are tight.

If you really need to go for a small and unobstrusive speaker system then check out the Anthony Gallo Nucleus system.

Happy New year and good luck!

Regards

Mahmood

AFAIK you will not be able to upgrade the Bose AM15 to 6.1 as all the speakers plug via the supplied sub which will only have connections for the supplied speakers (5.1).
The only way would be to use different speakers for the 6/7.1. These would need to be full(ish) range speakers. Bose satalites only handle top end (treble to mid range) the sub handles all the mid to bass.
IMHO as an ex Bose owner you can do far better for your money.
As mentioned the Anthony Gallo Nucleus system are the muts nuts :D as far as sub/sat systems go. If your budget will go this far then many on this forum have/will recommend them.

Mark.

As you can see from my kit list below I'm running a 2011 with a truck load of Mission M5s and I can totally recommend the combo, if you have the room for two big front floor standers.

If you havnt got the room go for Kef eggs or the Mission FS2s I've heard both of these with the 2011 they are both very good.

Jeb

If you really want Bose then they do the Acoustimass 16 system which is 6.1.
Don't know if they sell it in the UK yet, but is available for import. Try www.vertigoonline.com. Excellent prices, but you have to figure in import duties and a step down transformer for UK voltage (about £25 from www.tlc-direct.co.uk).

Regards

Jono

MarkE19

How would u rate the 2011 with the B&W 600 set of speakers I was looking at this set up.

Can get away with the front speaker 602.5 front, LRC 600 center, need somthing smaller for the surronds as the left surrond has to go on the side wall above the living room door.

My room is 12'wide X 14' long the telly is in the right hand corner of the room, my sette is against the back wall.

Also one for you Jeb how did you find the auto set up on the 2011.

Thanks Steve k ;)

Ment to say found the 2011 for £749.99 from HIFIBITZ is this a good price or anyone found it for less if u have let me know

thanks again

Originally posted by steve k
MarkE19

How would u rate the 2011 with the B&W 600 set of speakers I was looking at this set up.
I think the B&W's sound great, but it is all down to personal taste. Would recommend them personally but suggest you get a demo with the receiver to see if they are right for you.

Can get away with the front speaker 602.5 front, LRC 600 center, need somthing smaller for the surronds as the left surrond has to go on the side wall above the living room door.
THe LCR600 is very big and heavy (12.5kg, 204h x 545w x 311d :eek: ). Would suggest looking at the smaller LCR60 (9.0kg, 175 x 460 x 305mm) unless you have a lot of space and something very solid to stand it on. :rolleyes:
For surrounds try the 600 (include wall brackets) or for something a bit bigger the 601/602
Full details of the range are at www.bwspeakers.com

Mark.

Originally posted by steve k
MarkE19

The B&W 600 range is great let down (IMO) by just one speaker ... the 602.5

I strongly urge you to look at a pair of 602's on good stands which will only cost the same as 602.5s. The "correct" matching centre for everything below the 603s is the smaller LCR60 which is a great speaker though still large compared with a lot of other centre speakers.

As for small surrounds ... the 600's are again a great speaker and come with wall mounting brackets.

Victoria

Thankyou to everyone including Mahmood, Jonobaker, MarkE19, Steve K, Jeb and anyone else who gave their opinions on my original thread about partnering the VSX-D2011 with the Bose speakers. It did raise a lot of new options and I've just read an excellent review of the new B&W VM1 speaker package in this months 'What Hi-Fi'. There's only one thing for it; I'll have to go to next months show at Bristol.;)

Thanks Klee. I followed your link and your review was very helpful - and the pics were great too. Living in Somerset it's not easy auditioning the kit you read about, but I really want to hear this speaker set.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom