1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-D1011 Suited to JMlabs Sib And Cub speaker package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NewBeetle, Sep 3, 2003.

1. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    I am aiming to get my home cinema up and running in the next couple of months. I am using a Toshiba 220e and Sony 44" rp. SO I want to get the sound sorted. I have sold my stereo amps to get started on my 1st AV setup.

After much deliberation I have convinced myself no to but a sony davs 888 all-in-one.

So I am now looking at the above combination of the Pioneer 1011 and JMlabs sib and cub 5.1 setup. Anyone got opinions of this as an option? The pioneer seems a bargain at £498 and the JMlabs have been reduced to less than Kef eggs.

Any help/opinions much appreciated.

2. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends where you are and how much you can get the Sib/Cub for but creative audio are selling the Kefs Mk II's for £649 and they *DO* sound better thant the Sib/Cub combination.

Mark.

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Thing is they look totally pants compared to sib and cub, I know its not supposed to be about looks but these will be in my lving room for a long time and it matters!

Are eggs not just 'the darlings of the hi-fi press' ?

4. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I had the same feeling. My wife took one look at the eggs, saw the sib/cub and said "why can't we have some of them". I then dragged her to creative audio.
    The Sib/Cub might have the slight edge in looks (depending on what you're looking for) but I was still really impressed with the Eggs look, and the build is phenomenal. When my wife saw them in person she no longer had the same reaction to them. Plus the Sibs are bigger than the eggs. Something that was important as I wanted to wall mount them.

I would definitely listen to both before discounting the Eggs.

Mark.

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Thanks for your advice, its much appreciated. God I wish I had some decent Hi-Fi shops round this area.

Are sibs not wall mountable then?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes, they are wall mountable.

7. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are. They were just a little too big for my liking.

Mark.

8. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Can you please go into some more detail as to why you prefer the sound of the kefs over the sib & cub. They are both the same money and the JMlab set up has had plenty of fantastic reviews in some pretty serious magazines worldwide. (I know they are not always to be trusted and its best to listen with ones own ears).

Any owners of sib & cub want to stand up fight their corner?

9. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Late last year I auditioned both the 'sib & cub' package and the Kef's Mk 1's. IMHO the 'sib and cub' package was far better than the Kef's. However I can not comment on the MK II's as I have not heard them.

10. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Speaking to creative audio, they say that theres not much in it. They said that the kefs sell themselves due to press coverage and reviews. But lots of people that audition both in their listening room go for the Sib and Cub.

The thing that keeps putting me off the kefs is the look of them. I can't help but think they are gonna look so dated in a couple of years. Where the JMlabs, just look damn fine and timeless.