1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-C501-S and Kef 1005

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gbcasual, Nov 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I am looking to purchase my first Surround Sound setup and play movies:music approx 75:25.

I currently have the Tosh SD220e DVD player, Pace 2200 Digibox, Sony KV28-(WS2U?) TV and a cheap video player.

From an amp perspective, it needs to be slimline and I have found the Panasonic XR's (which I don't like the styling of), a few Pioneers and 1 Sony. The Sony seems weak in comparison to the Pioneer, particularly the VSX-C501-S which is 6.1Ch and I can get at £279.99.

I haven't done a great deal of looking into the speakers yet, but have found the KEF 1005's for £449 (incl 35m of cable and sub cable) which look good and are supposed to sound good too. The speakers don't have to be the mini-eggs, but can't be much larger (i.e. not bookshelf) due to SWMBO.

With either the amp or speakers, have I missed anything obvious that I should look at?

I guess my total budget is around £750.

I will be trying to get a sound demo of my selection when I get the chance.

2. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

I can't really help you with your question because I am in the process of looking for my first system at the moment but just wondered where you can get the VSXC501 at £279.99.

Thanks

Paul

3. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    FYI - Richer sounds last Friday - 14th - Pioneer C501 - £160 - Bargain!!!:smashin:

4. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    eas4uk I think you will find it was the VSXC301 that is 160. Unless they mad a mistake, which would be nice :D .

5. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
  6. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You could also look at the Tannoy FX 5.1 package. This has been favourably reviewed at the original price of £480 but can now be got at less than half that. The following thread should is developing on the subject and should contain some reviews over the next week from members who have bought. The may have some interesting findings. If bought from Vickers at £210 you get 20% off your next purchase which would equate to a pair of stands or even an extra sattelite for 6.1.

FX 5.1 Thread

Vickers

See what you think.

7. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Rulocal - :suicide: your quite right!!! whoops

8. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just recently bought the 1005 set (although i didn't get any speaker cable or a sub lead). i'm really pleased with them, i've got them powered by a ax3 and it sounds great.
    They look nice as well, not toosmall, not too big, just right.

Does the c501 have the mcacc?
    If so, get it. That thing is a real godsend when it comes to setting up the amp

9. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
  10. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

Have you got round to listening to the VSXC501 yet. I would be interested to hear your views if you do demo/buy.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

11. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I have only found the 501 in one shop and was unable to get a demo that day so still haven't heard it yet.

And unfortunately I have been somewhat delayed in my quest for surround sound as my HEC (Hard Earned Cash) has been re-routed by SWMBO and is now to be invested on an extension and new kitchen. :(

When the bank manager has got over the shock of that, I'll be going for amp & speakers then.

12. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've now seen tan fx5.1 in a shop for £220 with a pair of the official stands.

13. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Newbie,

What is mcacc?

Thanks,

Mark.

14. jonezy

jonezy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have just purchased the pioneer C501 along with the 565 dvd player and a set of Elac cinema 2s with xl centre (6.1).

I bought the pioneers at HiWAY HIFI on the Edgwre Rd, London for a combined £515.00 and then some half price high end cables.

The Elacs I got at hifistore.co.uk as a 6.1 package for 429.99. (inc del & vat) and I spent about £200 on cables.

One of the main reasons I went for this combo was that all this kit fits nicely under my Tosh PF2 and looks dead good (and is very wife friendly). I did prefer the pioneer 912 but this would have meant a seperate cabinet and considering I've already put the cables in the walls and under the floor this was not really viable.

The 5.1 & 6.1 is exceptional! At -30db watching the first 20mins of Saving Private Ryan was bloody scary. (Good job the Mrs was out!). I have also connected up the 5.1ch ana inputs and the SACD and DVD-audio is impressive. The only slight let down was CD playback, but this was to be expected (lack of mid range) but as I'm heavier in the films I'm not too bothered, and I think most sub/sat systems would suffer from this anyway.

The MCACC is good, and makes set up surprisingly easy, although I still found myself tweaking it a bit, but this was just my preference. I found most of the functions useful, the manuals are well written and head scratching was to a minimum. However if you connect up the 5.1 ana input, which you'll have to do for SACD and DVD-audio, note that one of the channels is a scart input which is a bit wierd. I tried discussing this with several retailers but NONE of them understood what I was talking about and most told me all I would need would be a single digital cable. That was worrying! (Although a lot of these retailers were on TCR)

Overall I am very happy with my set up. I think an expert would probably say 'yea, well... not bad' but if you are a person who values good quality sound at non geek levels (no offence meant to anyone) then you can't go far wrong with this package, although any of the mentioned speaker packages would be good (missions, kefs etc).

Happy hunting,

Jonezy

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at the Canton CD1 system for speakers to go with the PIO also look at Mission M72i fronts Dipole reare and matching centre £300 ish if you shop around. Also MS Premieres and Marantz
    See http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ for marantz Eclipse 36 deal £649 with premiere £599 With tannoy (includes matching DVD)

16. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all still to arrive, but this is what I've ordered:

Panasonic S35 DVD player (to go with my Panny E30)
    Pioneer C301 Receiver from Richer Sounds
    Mission M70 speaker system from Empire Direct

All in silver and can be yours for 580 quid.

17. oemrules

oemrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much did you pay for the M70 silver? What' the link where you ordered?

Thanks.