1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX C501 amp/receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cliveg, Nov 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

Having posted some earlier questions on speakers and stuff - and received replies...thanks guys :smashin: - I wonder if anyone has any experience of the above amp...good or bad!!

I'm looking to pair it up with a Pioneer DV565A DVD player ( which has had some good reviews :clap: ), and the Mission FS1 speaker package.

I was going to go for the Yamaha AX640se amp, but space dictates that I try for something that is not so tall ...hence the Pioneer :) ...(plus the speakers are "wifey friendly" !!!)

Any advice you wonderful people out there :hiya: can give me, would be appreciated :rolleyes: :smashin:

Regards,

CliveG

2. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CliveG,

based purely on brochures and reviews had cut my list down to the 912 or the 501. Couldn't find anywhere locally to listen to either so had to make a decision. Decided on the 912..... showed wife and she said how about this nice little one..... so the 501 should arrive by the weekend!

Got the Kef 2005.2 eggs lat weekend to go with the 501.

The DV565 and the 501 get the best but award from What HiFi for the midrange system.

Also downloaded the manual from the Pioneer website to get a good look at the specs.

Not scientific but swmbo has to be taken into consideration!

Mark

3. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks MTJ...wil you let me know how you get on with it and what you think?...i was also looking at the Kef 2005.2's but unfortunately out of my price range...and the wife didn't like the look of 'em!! ( and what does swmbo mean?...sorry not up to all these acronyms/short names etc!!)

Cheers,

CliveG

4. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CliveG,

certainly will give you an update at the weekend (assuming it arrives).

SWMBO = she who must be obeyed!

Cheers,

Mark

5. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Mark...appreciated.

Clive

6. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Another question...I keep reading in these forums about "crossover" in relation to amps/speakers. What does this actually mean. Sorry to be a pain, but I'm a relative newbie in all this!

Thanks,

CliveG

7. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've made a decision! :clap:

I'm gonna buy the Pioneer vsx c501 amp and the Pioneer DV565A player, with the Infinity Oreus 5.1 speaker package. (Hope I've made the right decision....otherwise :suicide: !!)

Some advice please...the amp has 4 scart connections...would it be best to put the VCR and my Sky digibox through two of these, and if so would there be any picture degredation? and would I still need to connect via phono leads for sound, or would this be picked up through the scarts?

The DVD player is no problem...that'll be connected to my Tosh TV via component, with coax digital into the amp.

Could you also recommend some decent speaker cable - not too expensive! - as I doubt the Infinity's will be supplied with it.

Thanks for your help,

CliveG

8. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliveg,

have now had some time to use the amp so here is some feedback from my 501 installation.......

Installation went smoothly, manual is fairly clear. The MACC setup appears very good (not had to set up other av amps but a friend who helped has set other systems and thought it was excellent). Had laid the cables under the carpet the previous week so was nice to get it installed quickly.

Only had 2 problems - the centre pin on the FM aerial connecter was pushed back inside the unit by the plug I used - this is apparently typical of cheap connectors (local repair shop has seen lots of these!) and is a shame to see on this unit. Long nose pilers and gentle turning of the plug resolved the problem.

Second problem was that the manual is not clear on how to enable the SR+ between the 501 and the 434 plasma (you have to enable in the setup menu AND enable each time you turn the units on by pressing 2 keys on the remote), however once enable being able to switch the amp and the plasma from one button push is great.

Was previously worried about the KEF eggs I had bought (just trying them on a normal stereo amp they didnt sound very good at all), but they sound great when driven by the 501. They are ok for normal CD stereo, but not great. Am going to have to get the old stereo setup somewhere else I think. Dont have any experience of other AV systems to compare the DVD sound with, all I can say is that I am more than happy with the sound and 'experience' it provides.

Probably a facility on all AV amps but was impressed with the ability to assign different inputs to different channels (eg if you plug the DVD into the STB scart by mistake you can swap them over in the menus and dont have to move the connectors). Also being able to attenuate the input fixed a problem with Sky+ when connected by analogue.

In the 501 manual is suggests not using the amp to switch the video inputs for a 434 plasma. Can only assume this is due to signal degredation. So my video inputs are into the plasma media box but the audio goes into the amp. Now this is ok with pioneer gear linked by SR+ but if not you will need to use 2 controllers to switch (one for audio, one for video) or but a programmable remote. BTW I use TOS optical for SKY+ audio and digital phono for DVD audio.

Overall am very happy with it - 9/10.

Now just need to decide whether I should have the DV-868 or the DV-668 to replace the older Pioneer DVD deck (and find an HDMI cable!). And then of course maybe some better quality speaker cable, and the programmable remote and the ..........

Mark

9. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mark...thanks for the info. It's appreciated.

One question...what are the speaker terminals on the amp? Are they standard spring clips or binding posts or what? I guess what I'm asking is do I need to have that end terminated with a connector/plug of some kind?

Cheers,

Clive

10. MTJ

MTJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clive,

standard spring clips. If you haven't downloaded the manual from the Pioneer website its worth doing!

Mark