1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-C402

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cool Man, Oct 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Cool Man

Cool Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone.

does anyone have any reviews on this model and are there any constrainsts on what type of 5.1 speaker package you can connect to it, ie does it have to be with active sub-woofer, without or doesn't it matter.

Many thanks :)

2. Sizzle

Sizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give a review of my Pioneer VSX-C402...

The sound quality is unimpressive. There is no way to adjust treble or bass. There is no graphics equaliser. The only way to differ the way the audio sounds is through the preset programmes. Most of the programmes are useless as they sound crap, who wants to listen to the "Bright" mode, it is horrible. "Midnight" mode sounds the best as it boosts the bass a little and I leave it on this 24/7.

The build quality is good, as it should be from Pioneer. Nice finish and looks good from the front, but it is a large (deep) box and may not sit elegantly with other boxes and could stick out if you don't have deep shelving. It is much deeper than a Sky receiver. It has a fan on the back that is always on when the receiver is on. It is a fairly quiet fan but it is still noticeable in a quiet room. The receiver never feels hot, so I do not know why the fan has to run all the time.

What this receiver desperately needs is on-screen display on the TV. But all it has is a little LCD display on the front of the receiver. From the sofa I can barely see the tiny characters change on the front of the receiver as I adjust the volume or change modes, etc.

The remote is big, well constructed and has a huge number of buttons on it controlling everything on the receiver. For constant use it is way too big and unwieldy. Fortunately it is possible to program a sky remote to operate the volume of this receiver, so I rarely have to touch the big remote.

Think of it as a large switching box with a volume control. The big attraction are those 4 scarts on the back. It is overpriced for what it is, I'd value it at £99. But it sells for almost twice that. I like it, but I don't think it is that good.