1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-C300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by benlong, Jun 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. benlong

benlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Pioneer VSX-C300 AV receiver with matching Pioneer speaker set inc powered Sub. When in use the receiver gets very hot, too hot to leave the DV444 DVD player on top as the manual suggests.

When in standby the unit can stay hot for up to 24 hours. The Sub is always switched off when the receiver is in standby.

Anyone else with the VSX-C300? I could do with some comments on the 'normal' operating temp.

Cheers, Ben.

2. Member 13996

Member 13996
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    benlong

I know it's been a while since your post but I've just bought the same amp/dvd as you.

Initially I put the DVD on top of the amp but it gets far too hot. At the moment I'm trying it the other way round. It looks like the amp simply runs too hot to have anything on top/underneath. I notice there's a fan at the back but it's not operating. Should it be on or is it controlled by a thermostat?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Andy.

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,575
    Guys

You should´nt really stack anything on top of an amp as they need space around them to disperse heat. Some amps have fans which should kick in when the amp reaches a certain temperature, others have huge heatsinks or a combination of both.

I´ve noticed from people on other forums that Pioneers tend to run quite hot.

4. Member 13996

Member 13996
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem seems to be that the Pioneer amp and DVD player in question are sold together as a package. The instruction book for the amp says do not place anything on top of it EXCEPT for a DV-444 DVD player!

I have very limited space and in fact this was the reason for buying this combo (both slimline units).

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone else who has the same equipment.

Cheers
    Andy.

5. benlong

benlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think the DV444 is fine sitting on top. What is important is the 10cm or more of space on the right hand side of the unit. This is where most of the heat escapes and giving it plenty of room does allow it to run cooler. I've made a few mods to the item of furntiure i have them sitting in and all is cool.

Ben.

6. Member 13996

Member 13996
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben

I've got a fair amout of space to both sides of the amp but there is still a lot of heat radiating from the top. How hot does this make your DVD player? I'm just worried the heat will damage it.

At the moment, I've put the amp on top of the DVD with some spacers to raise it up slightly. This works OK but doesn't look as good.

Andy.

7. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a big problem? How HOT does it get?
    I am thinking of getting my brother this receiver as a present.
    Just just 100GBP.

8. Member 13996

Member 13996
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it gets very hot but I've never heard the fan at the back come on (don't know if the fan is faulty or whether the unit has never got hot enough). Parts of the case are too hot to touch sometimes. I would say perhaps I'm over-cautious. The heat has never caused any operating problems at all.

I think the key is ventilation. If i have the window open in the room there is no problem!

I would recommend the unit though. £100 sounds good.

9. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys I have the same system and my fan kicks in very regulary to cool it down.
    On the sound front how do you guys find it with music dvds i find it quite tinny and the sub very boomy,thinking of investing in better speakers.

10. JohnTres

JohnTres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey newbie265,

Approximately how long does it take before the fan kicks in?

I have just got the VSX C100 which replaced the VSX C300.
    I have it on top of a Pioneer DV545 DVD player in a Sony TV cabinet.

I've only used it a few times and it does get hot but I haven't heard the fan yet.
    By the sounds of things this is quite normal but I just wondered when the I should expect the fan to operate (want to make sure it works ok).

John

11. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the VSX-C300 and I think the fan is controlled by a thermostat. It seems to kick in as and when it deems necessary.

I have noticed that if I have the volume up loud for a period of time and then mute it, I can hear the fan overrun and then shut down after a few seconds.