1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-C100

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jGrahamD, Sep 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got this from Unbeatable and I'm quite happy with it. I can't comment much about the sound quality as I have not heard too many other systems to compare it with. But the sound is full and there are a few variations (natural, quiet, bright, etc.). I previously tried the Sony HTBE1, which in my opinion is rubbish (at least for home cinema, may be OK for games). The VSX-C100 is extremely easy to set up and worked flawlessly. Slim-line, good functionality and low price, I think this is probably a good introduction to home cinema.

2. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How much did you pay for it? Have you got the matching DVD player to got with it?

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £189 plus delivery. I already had a DVD player, but anyway I needed one with two SCART sockets. I tried out the Pro Logic ii last night when C5 screened Saving Private Ryan. It works a bit too well, if you know what I mean.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm looking for a cheap DPL II setup. What speakers are you using with the Piomeer?

DaveP

5. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm actually using an old Packard Bell 5.1 speaker setup. The Woofer has a built in 5 channel amplifier which is now redundant. I will probably upgrade to the matching Pioneer speakers at a later date, which cost around £149. There are some good speaker deals at www.richersounds.co.uk.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update.

DaveP

7. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isnt that amp £99 from Empiredirect now ??

8. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now that would have been upsetting! No, that is the VSXC300, the older model that does not have DPL2.

9. thewrinklyone

thewrinklyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again sorry to resurrect this thread but this newbie needs some help. I've just received the Pioneer VSX100s and I'm very happy with it. That is apart from the PLII option, I can only get sound from my centre speaker when I select Movie mode. If I select Music mode I get sound from the centre, L and R fronts but nothing from the rears. Can anyone help?

I have an analogue cable coming from the L and R RCA connectors from the back of my televison (36" Hitachi) into the L and R TV/Sat connectors of my amp. Have I missed something out?

I also have my Philips DVD player connected to my amp via a coaxial optical cable and the surround sound on DVD is superb!

10. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It sounds like the source is not Stereo. Do you have any way to confirm this, or do you have any other source you could try, such as the output from a Nicam VCR?

11. thewrinklyone

thewrinklyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply. You were right, the source was not stereo. I bought a new stereo VCR as my old one was a crappy mono JVC one and the PII works just fine.

Once again many thanks for your time.

12. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd be interested to know what sound mode you use with PL2. I use midnight mode. It doesn't seem to do anything to the dynamic range, but puts back the bass that seems to get lost with PL2. Sounds great to me.