Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer VSX-C 402 - very noisy fan!?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by susa, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. susa

susa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I am new to this forum and you hope you can help me.

We have bought a Pioneer VSX-C 402 as part of a home theatre package from Comet.
    Although it works well and does everything it should, we are very disappointed by the amount of noise that's coming from the fan as soon as you switch it on. It's ok when you watch action movies with lots of noise but when you watch something a bit quieter the hummning noise is very, very irritating. We bought the home theatre kit to get better quality sound and ended up with with a very noisy piece of equipment. I actually took it back to Comet only to be told there's no defect, that's just the way it is.

I have searched this forum and the web and have found only positive comments about the VSX-C 402. So, my question is, does anybody have a VSX-C 402 and is it noisy???

Thanks,
    Susa

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its very small and packs quite a bit of power for its size so i wouldnt be surprised if it was noisy, but i have never heard one to be honest.

3. patters98

patters98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one for a while and have never noticed the fan at all. I don't listen to it cranked all the way up, but I'm sure if I did it would drown out the noise of the fan. The Xbox is a different matter. Maybe you got one that's got a shot bearing or something.

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the 301 model, almost identical I should imagine, and I haven't heard the fan yet. Might be a dodgy model or some other component.

5. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm currently using a 402 and cannot hear the fan at all.
    All I can hear is the Xbox and sometimes the Sky+ fan kick in!

6. susa

susa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your feedback so far.
    That'll give me ammunition when I go back to Comet/Pioneer because I think the receiver is definitely dodgy.

7. susa

susa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case anybody is interested, I have had the receiver exchanged under warranty by Pioneer and I am a very happy customer :thumbsup:
    Can't praise Pioneer customer services enough. First they exchanged the fan in the unit which didn't make much difference, then they replaced the power supply which didn't make any difference at all, then their engineer came round with an identical unit to have a direct comparison and after agreeing that our unit was a lot noisier, they arranged for us to have a replacement receiver. Now we are happy very:)
    Still not so happy with Comet where we had originally bought the receiver and who didn't want to know about the problem and weren't willing to help at all!