Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S & DV-757Ai (I-Link)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by equinoxdreaming, Jun 24, 2004.

1. equinoxdreaming

equinoxdreaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had the pleasure of this setup, Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S receiver and Pioneer DV-757Ai dvd (or DV868AVi )? Or a Pioneer Receiver / DVD combination using I-Link. I'm trying to build a full-proof system - one that has exceptional DVD-A and SACD reproduction and also that will give very healthy 2-Channel stereo performance. I've been juggling the idea of a Yammie 1400 and a Denon DVD2900 - but I wondered if it would be better to miss out all the D to A conversions and back again. I would really value someone experience in this area and let me know if the Pioneer avenue is worth exploring. What are Pioneers receivers and dvd's like - how do they compare with the rest of the bunch using analog connections to play DVD-A and SACD? Or should I get a Denon DVD2900 and Yamaha AV1400 and be happy with the build / sound quality (or wait until more products come available with digital links).

Also, what are the major differences between the DV868AVi & DV757Ai? Is there any differences in audio quality - I'm particular interested in DVD-A and SACD and 2-Channel reproduction - what are these 2 players like, going through the I-Link connection?

Thank you so much, Phil

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    If you are particularly interested in music over movies whether multi channle or not then the Arcam DV79 and AVR300 combination is hard to beat. The Pioneer 868 and AX5 are not bad, particularly for movies but tend to sound a bit thin when playing music.

If you really are looking for "exceptional" DVD-A and SACD performance then I would suggest you need to substantially re-assess your budget. Something like a Linn Unidisk 1.1/2.1 + fully active combination or the Arcam DV27A + AV8 + P7 combination will give you something getting close to what I would describe as exceptional.

The two Arcam players I have mentioned only play DVD-A discs and not SACD. This is not a major contstraint due the the imminent launch of the Dual Disc format which should increase the market share of DVD-A significantly.

Dual Disc Approval

3. equinoxdreaming

equinoxdreaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I guess I'm interested in the best I can get for around £1500 to £1700 - so I know for the price it wont be the 'best of the best' - but I would like something that is an all-rounder, good on DVD-A, SACD and 2-Channel. In the end, it's probably better to buy a system for surround and different system for 2-Channel reproduction, but for the moment I want to go down the multi-channel route. Is the sound quality much better using I-Link rather than the analogue outputs on a DVD?

thank you for all your help, Phil

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    No, I don't feel that the sound quality is significantly better using the iLink connection over a well designed analogue output from the player. The analogue outputs from the Pioneer players are pretty poor and hence why I think they have gone down the route of using decoding onboard the amp. The analogue outputs from either the Denon or the Arcam players offer a much higher standard of audio than the Pioneer can manage from theirs, with the Arcam being the superior of the two. As I said on my previous answer do not get too hooked on the ability to play all types of disc as most players that do this do it to a fairly average level of performance at best whereas other players that concentrate on one multi channel format or the other tend to do a better job.