1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX AX5i or VSX AX5Ai

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Murray, Nov 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone please tell me which amp to buy? I can buy the Pioneer VSX AX5i in NZ here for $2000 but Im told the VSX AX5Ai is much better. Its still not available yet in NZ and Pioneer tell me its due round March 2005. Is it worth my wait, or buy the AX5i, for Im sure a much lesser price?
    I have a Pioneer DV S969AViG player with HDMI and using the Panasonic 700 projector through HDMI. The thing I would like to do is take my SKY digital signal into the amp in s-vid and then out from the amp in component to the projector. Will that work with the earlier AX5i?
    Hope someone can answer my questions.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Murray the AX5i is a cracking amp and from the reviews here in th UK the AX5Ai is not much of an upgrade there is only a few tweaks as far as i can see, they tweaked the MCAA or Auto setup and not much else.
    If it were my money i would get the old one and save a few pounds or $ if you know what i mean.

Btw: takeing Sky in thru S-VID and converting to component can be done on the old AX5i

John

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i suggest u wait for the AX5Ai. I had the AX5i for about 2 months as a loan from my excellent local dealer (Musical Images) waiting for the AX5Ai , which i got last week.

I have to say , and i'm not that technical , the differences are very audioable.

regardless of the extra output (20 more per channel) and the improved auto-setup , it just sounds better! also if u want to upconvert a s-vid signal to component the AX5Ai will do it , but the AX5i won't.

HTH.

4. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi NC11
    Thanks for your reply....
    Can you please explain to me about the up conversion from s.vid to component.
    Does that give you an improved way of sending the SKY signal to the projector rather than going direct just through s.vid?
    the reply to my post from recruit said the AX5i would do the conversion, has he made a mistake?
    What about the sound delay feature (6frame/.1 frame step) does the AX5i have that too? And is that something that you use?
    Murray

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Murray,

NC is correct in what he is saying the old AX5i will switch component but not upconvert SVID to component, it is quite a while now since i owned one so apologies :blush: Still a cracking amp though :smashin:

John

6. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does it do anything to the quality of the picture if you switch to component on the amp from s-vid?

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes the AX5i does have master audio delay as well & if you use a projector, plasma or any external video processing you are likely to need it. (This is a feature that IMHO any processor/amp/receiver being sold now should have available)

8. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AX5ai also has pro logic IIx (the old has only pro logic II).
    Don't bother with the video up conversion. I have my s-video output from my sky plugged into the ax5ai, which then up converts it to component and sent to my plasme. The picture is awfull! Very blurred and reminiscent of an old TV with a dodgy aerial. However, the rest of the amp is stunning.

9. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    murray,

i haven't yet used the video capabilities of the AMP , all my sources r going directly to the plasma , but from what i've read and heard the AX5Ai can take a s-vid signal and up-convert it to a progressive one that is sent through the component out , thus giving u better PQ.

i haven't used the audio delay feature yet , but it's there...

HTH.