pioneer VSX-AX5Ai

U

Universal Peace

Hey Guys,
Wanted to know how is the pioneer VSX-AX5Ai and where can i get the review of it? I want a AV Amp for 80/20 music/movies, here are some which i think about (budget £1500):

Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai
Yamaha RX-V2500
Denon AVR-3805

Thank's for the help.

Kind Regards,
Peace.

There was a review of one make DVD players/ receivers in the October What Hi Fi (immediately ducks for cover!) that included the AX5AI and the 3805. The Denon combination won.

They had previously reviewed the 3805, Arcam AVR300 and Yamaha 2400 and the 2400 won.

Audioholics have reviewed the 2500 recently and, on the whole, liked it.

At the end of the day, I strongly recommend an actual demonstration of any that you are serious about; paper reviews are only useful for drawing up a shortlist.

what kind of sources r u planning to connect into the AMP?

Universal Peace said:
how is the RX-V2500 for music?

Just taken delivery and finished setting up my new RX-V2500 and I can assure you its awesome. The Pure Direct Mode produces perfect music and the sound coming out of my Kef Q5s is out of this world.

Pure Direct bypasse the unit's decoders and DSP processors as well as shuts down the video circuitry giving you a high fidelity stereo sound.

This beauty is not yet available in the UK but managed to get one fro Germany at half the suggested UK price when its released.

I'm still putting my new 'toy' through its paces and will be in a position to give a more detailed review of this awesome machine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Moku,

Where did you buy your RX-V2500 from? I'm actually in Germany next week so I will take a look.

I tried the RX-V2400 against the Denon 3805 and Arcam AVR300 and it was awesome for movies. The setup was somewhat cumbersome, but I understand the 2500 is much improved in that respect.

Keep us posted on the performance.

Cheers

Mark

moku said:
Just taken delivery and finished setting up my new RX-V2500 and I can assure you its awesome. The Pure Direct Mode produces perfect music and the sound coming out of my Kef Q5s is out of this world.

Pure Direct bypasse the unit's decoders and DSP processors as well as shuts down the video circuitry giving you a high fidelity stereo sound.

machine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Pioneer also has this feature.

hi m8.

I had a Pioneer ax3i for about 4 months up until 2 nights ago when I swapped it for an Arcam AVR200. I like u listen to 80/20 music/film and while the Pioneer for film was a brilliant amp with pinpoint accuracy, it lacked something in music, infact in stereo it was terrible.

This was coupled to an Arcam Dv89 for the cd duties.

The AVR200 honestly wipes the floor with the pioneer in music, it sounds so much warmer and nicer. the pioneer in it's defense was super clear to the point u could hear every single instrument in it but they all appeared seperate and not as 1 piece of music. With the Arcam they sound like a tune.

The ax5i will sound pretty much the same for music as the ax3i so be careful buying it if it's mainly for music. In the pioneers defense I've heard very good things with it for music if you couple it to an ILink player and use it that way, but I've never heard it so can't comment.

The Pioneer does though destroy my Arcam at movies and i do mean destroy it. Auto setup on the pioneer is nice to but it does tend to make everything sound quite bright.

I'd go for an Arcam Avr300 if I was you as it's brilliant for music and apparently very good for movies (lot better than my avr200).

Dave

hi_robb said:
The ax5i will sound pretty much the same for music as the ax3i so be careful buying it if it's mainly for music. In the pioneers defense I've heard very good things with it for music if you couple it to an ILink player and use it that way, but I've never heard it so can't comment.

The ilink made a huge difference when listening to CD's thru the AX5i and if you have a i link capable player it is worth useing.

John

AndoverRed said:
Moku,

Where did you buy your RX-V2500 from? I'm actually in Germany next week so I will take a look.

I tried the RX-V2400 against the Denon 3805 and Arcam AVR300 and it was awesome for movies. The setup was somewhat cumbersome, but I understand the 2500 is much improved in that respect.

Keep us posted on the performance.

Cheers

Mark

Got it from www.gersdorf-online.de if you're still interested you can check them out whilst in Germany next week. :thumbsup:

hi_robb said:
hi m8.

The ax5i will sound pretty much the same for music as the ax3i so be careful buying it if it's mainly for music. .

Dave

I've heard quite the opposite actually. I've heard that the AX5 has much improved music capabilities when compared to the ax3

astirling said:
I've heard quite the opposite actually. I've heard that the AX5 has much improved music capabilities when compared to the ax3

Hi m8,

Using either normal coaxial or optical via digital, or analogue cables, there's practically no difference between the 2. I auditioned both amps when I went to buy mine and ended up buying the ax3 as it was 200 quid cheaper and I had no need for things like component switching.

Both amps were auditioned using the dv88+ which they had setup.

At the time I was impressed by how clear everything sounded, I did notice the lacking in warmth but thought that perhaps this was just down to the amps perhaps not being run in.

It was only after a few weeks that I realised that the musical abillities of the amp were not improving.

I didn't though try ilink on the ax5 as i wasn't going to use it. I had already made my mind up that I was getting a dv89, which was what I went to buy in the first place. It was only once at the shop that i thought "Sod it, i need a new amp + speakers to".

Ask any ax3 or ax5 owners on here about the musical abillities of the amp through non ilink sources and you'll get a repsonse along the lines of "it's ok", 1 or 2 may even admit to it not being good.

I'm not saying it's a bad amp because it's not, just musically there are far better for the price.

Dave

Oops,

Just noticed we r talking about the pioneer ax5ai which I haven't heard so can't comment on it's abillities.

Sorry, I should have read properly :)

Dave

I hate to disagree but the AX5Ai sounds great with pure music cd's. using a marantz cd5400 through a coax digital connection , and it sounds great. i've also used the same cd's on my 868 through iLink , and it still sounds great!!

at the end of the day , if music is you're main concern you MUST listen to the AMP youreself. that;s the only way you'll be able to determine which one sounds best for you.

hi_robb said:
Hi m8,

Using either normal coaxial or optical via digital, or analogue cables, there's practically no difference between the 2. I auditioned both amps when I went to buy mine and ended up buying the ax3 as it was 200 quid cheaper and I had no need for things like component switching.

Both amps were auditioned using the dv88+ which they had setup.

At the time I was impressed by how clear everything sounded, I did notice the lacking in warmth but thought that perhaps this was just down to the amps perhaps not being run in.

It was only after a few weeks that I realised that the musical abillities of the amp were not improving.

I didn't though try ilink on the ax5 as i wasn't going to use it. I had already made my mind up that I was getting a dv89, which was what I went to buy in the first place. It was only once at the shop that i thought "Sod it, i need a new amp + speakers to".

Ask any ax3 or ax5 owners on here about the musical abillities of the amp through non ilink sources and you'll get a repsonse along the lines of "it's ok", 1 or 2 may even admit to it not being good.

I'm not saying it's a bad amp because it's not, just musically there are far better for the price.

Dave

Isn't one tuned by air studios whilst the other isn't? I have to say though that I've got mine connected via I-Link so I can't comment too much.

astirling said:
Isn't one tuned by air studios whilst the other isn't? I have to say though that I've got mine connected via I-Link so I can't comment too much.

hi m8,

Both ax5ai and the ax5i are tuned by air studios as far as I know. I'm going to some shops looking with a m8 on monday so I'm going to ask for a demo ofilnk in action as I'm intriqued now.

Dave

If you are interested in getting the Pioneer, have a look here Pioneer VSX-AX5i or here Pioneer VSX-AX5ai-S .
They are selling the old ax5i for £749. They had just one left last week.
If you fancy the newer ax5ai they do that one for £949 (more power plus video up conversion & pro logic IIx).
I got an ax5ai last week. I haven't really had a chance to give it a good test yet, but initial impressions are very good, especially when connected with the I-link.
One downside though. I have the amp connected to my plasma via a component cable. My dvd is connected to the amp using component cable too. My Sky+ is connected to the amp using S-Video. The amps up conversion from S video to component is awful. So much so that I will be getting an RGB scart - component converter for my Sky box. However, it is quite useful for converting my old videos composite output (which hardly ever gets used).

hi_robb said:
hi m8,

Both ax5ai and the ax5i are tuned by air studios as far as I know. I'm going to some shops looking with a m8 on monday so I'm going to ask for a demo ofilnk in action as I'm intriqued now.

Dave

Yeah I'm aware that they both are. I was suggesting that the AX3 isn't. I have the ax5i linked via i-link to my 757Ai DVD player and I love the sound.

Universal Peace said:
need more info pleeeaaaase. Thanks in advance. :-D

More info?
Well, I don't really know anything about the other amps, but I have been using my Pioneer for a few more days now.
When listening to movies it sounds great. However, I was a bit suprised as to how little power there seems to be when listening to music. I managed to crank the volume all the way up to max when listening to my cd player (using digital co-ax) with the bass turned up to max. My old Yamaha DSP-A3090 wouldn't go much over half way.

Hi.
@MikeFish
Saw your post and thought I could help. If you did an autosetup, the receiver set your levels to 75 db for all channels when volume at 0db. This is ideal when watcing movies, but for music(stereo) you might want to increase your levels for front L, front R and(if you use) sub. This can be done either in the main menu (but here you have to adjust all channel levels, and after they are adjusted they will be saved which is probably not what you want) or by pressing: "Receiver" then press "Effect/ChSel" untill you see the channel levels for your front L and so on, and adjust your channel levels db here. Your levels can be set all the way up to +10db, so if the autosetup has set the levels for your front speakers to ie. -7db you will have 17 db gain.... If you do it the "Effect/ChSel" way, the receiver will return to channel levels done by autosetup when you turn it off.

Regards

Edit: Read in another post that you are aware of this now :laugh: .

Haven't seen it cheaper than £950 to be honest, but does that include shipping?

Creative Audio has it for £949 including shipping (plus 2 years warranty). Click here

I have the AX5Ai hooked up to the 868AVi via I-Link and I love the sound it makes musically.

As an aside, movies on the AX5Ai will blow you away.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom