Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S or VSX-2014 with 7.1 KEF eggs???

S

stvn

Hi

Have a 7.1 kef eggs instaled and I want to buy an amplifier.

Is to much the difference in quality and sound about this two amplifiers?.

The price, here in Spain, is about 529 Eur (2014) and 1.099 Eur (AX5Ai), is justified this difference?

Thanks and sorry for my english

I'm interested in this also. Are there any reviews of the 2014 anywhere?

The 2014 is a superb amp but the AX5Ai is really in a different league (as represented by the price).

The reverberation calibration system (Advanced MCACC) system on the AX5Ai makes such a huge difference - my A/V room is fairly far from an ideal shape and has some rather unpleasant sound reflection properties - it sounds pretty dreadful with even a nice receiver (like my old Pioneer 2011) but after the 'Auto Pro' calibration on my AX5Ai the room sounds like it has been purpose built for sound reproduction. Awesome, really.

Unfortunately you'll never know what a difference it will make in your room unless you can take both the AX5Ai and the 2014 home with you and try them out...

O Own the 2014i and I have it setup with a 7.1 system and it works beautifully. Also the 2014i does MCACC. The only real dif between the 2014i and the ax5ai is the London air studios tuning. It's a great AMP. Get it :thumbsup:

I beg to differ - the 2014 has Auto MCACC whereas the AX5Ai has Advanced MCACC (first seen on the AX10Ai).

Auto MCACC automatically sets speaker volume levels, speaker distance correction and speaker voice correction, while Advanced MCACC does all that and measures (and corrects for) the reverberation characteristics of your room. The difference this made in my case was astonishing.

I would have thought that the AX5Ai would be overkill for the eggs though.

Probably right about that. But then again, I would have thought the 2014 is pretty highly specced to be plugged into eggs too?

My Mistake Kier. Still it's an impressive piece of kit considering the price. I was going to get the ax5ai myself for the i-Link but then the 2014i came out and was cheaper and more then up to the job to drive my speakers.

No arguments from me there, the 2014 (and the 2011 for that matter) are great amps.

Kier said:
Probably right about that. But then again, I would have thought the 2014 is pretty highly specced to be plugged into eggs too?

Agreed. I'd go for a Yamaha 750SE/Denon 2105 or something similar. Anything else is just not doing the amp justice imo.

Managed to get the 2014 for £468 - I think thats a good price compared to what it goes for generally.

CrazyAl

crazyal said:
Managed to get the 2014 for £468 - I think thats a good price compared to what it goes for generally.

That is a good price - where did you get it from?

It seems to be £500 in a lot of places now, are Pioneer likely to be bringing out a new model soon, hence the price reduction?

I wouldn't have thought they'd release the new range before the summer. More likely around October.

Tejstar said:
That is a good price - where did you get it from?

I looked on the web for the cheapest price and found it here

Then rang unbeatable.co.uk to get a 110% price match. They weren't happy but they did it. It's a special order item from Unbeatable so they said i have to wait 10-14 days. I said no problem :)

Cheers

You’re right – click here. This is great value for money, I wonder why everyone is heavily discounting these? :confused:

I wonder what the 2014 would be like with my AG's? Overkill perhaps? What do you think?

I bought mine from Hyperfi about a month ago for £399. (£380 if you allow for the delivery cost). Don't know why it's so cheap, but, running a 7.1 system, it sounds absolutely superb, though a little 'cold' on music toward the high end.

ResB said:
I wonder what the 2014 would be like with my AG's? Overkill perhaps? What do you think?

Perhaps, but at least you'd be able to link it to your 868 via i-link if multi-channel music is important to you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom