1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-AX5ai - honest answers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by eqdreams, Oct 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. eqdreams

eqdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have saved up my pennies and I'm ready to buy a receiver. I have approx £1000 to spend (but I don't need to use it all - I'm quite happy to spend £500 on a receiver!).

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the Pioneer VSX-AX5ai. Is there much difference is sound quality to that of the VSX-AX5i (without the a)? I'm looking for something that I will last me a few years. Something that reproduces amazing multi-channel sound aswell as 2-channel.

I really like the look and build quality of the Pioneer. Or would someone suggest to me what else I should spend my money on. I like the fact that it is now PLIIx and has the I-Link. But does it do similiar things to the Denon 2805 & 3805, with pure direct - how does the Pioneer compare to stereo sound - does it shut down its circuitary?

If I did go for the Pioneer, I'd probably wait for a better DVD player to come along - they seem to be a little behind Denon at the moment.

Then again, the Yamah 750SE has got rave reviews, specially for it's stereo reproduction - how does this compare to a unit that is more than double its price.

Please treat me as a fool - I don't want to spend such a lot of monet and find I could've bought something for half the price that sounds twice as good - if you see what I mean.

Thank you so much - your help will be so much appreciated,

Phil

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Pioneer 868 is well up there with anything Denon are coming out with DVD-wise. If you decide to change DVD player too, then these two (AX5ai + 868) would go very nicely together via iLink.

The AX5ai is on my shortlist (along with the denon 3805, and Marantz 8500). I think I'm going with the Marantz though. Would really like the integrated DVI switching.

Not to familiar with the lower end models, but I think you can pick up a Yam 2400 for a good price these days. Worth considering.

3. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I wouldn't say that Pioneer are a little behind - more like the others have deifinately caught up. :)

4. eqdreams

eqdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what is your AX5ai like moviebuff? what is the sound quality like in multi-channel ans 2-channel - does it sound like it's worth £1000

5. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i have the ax5i, and multi channel is excelent, 2 chanelss only avarage.

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have the older AX5i - not the newer AX5ai -

It's hard to quantify whether something sounds X amount of pounds,as there are many factors to take into account.So such is beauty is to the eye of the beholder,so the same can be levelled at perceived sound quality.

I will say that coupled with the 868,I'm more than happy with mine,and that's with 2 channel as well.But,when I had a cheaper DVD source,it sounded alot brighter than it does now - quite fatiguing after a while.

I can't fault it for multi-channel at all - it's superb.

With it i-linked,the sound seems airy,less bright,and ultimately alot easier on the ear.

HTH