1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-AX2AV reviews and advantages over VSX-1015?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kamaran, Oct 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Any one tried/heard/read anthing more about this receiver?

On a seperate note:

I am interested in going for the above with a Pioneer 436-XDE plasma as it has HDMI switching. Can anyone tell me if there is a significant advantage to doing this as opposed to going for something like VSX-1015?

I know it means that the A/V amp will manage both the sounds and image so I will only have to select input once? Any other benefits?

Thanks guys

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    anyone?

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The 1015 will switch inputs on your PDP plasma for you if you connect using an SR+ cable. 1015 will do component switching internally, alas no HDMI. Does not scale other inputs to component either, but the OSD stuff will come out of the component cable.

What prices are you looking at for these 2?

4. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks PDP-434,

So I can get one input to control the picture and sound for me too if I connect the reciever and plasma via SR+ cable? Which will initiate this - the screen or the reciever?

If I go for the 1015 (given it will be mostly connected by sound only), I assume it will just switch the sound to the correct channel and change the input on the plasma, so it picks up the appropriate video feed from the media box?

If I go for the AX2, it will switch both the video and sound feed, but then how will the plasma know to switch to the corresponding input?

The 1015 is £370, the AX2 is £580 - is it worth me spending the extra?

5. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I see that the VSX-AX2AV-S switches 2 HDMI inputs. Nice! 580 quid though.

I have the 1014 which is pre 1015, bought it a couple of months ago and got my mate to make me up the SR+ cable. You use this to connect the Plasma to the receiver. You then tell the receiver which Digital IN (sound) and which Component IN (vision) to assign to which input.

e.g. DVD input is Optical IN 1 and Component In 1

Then to use SR+ you assign which INPUT1-3 of the Pioneer Plasma is to be selected when you press the DVD input.

So, when you press the DVD input the receiver routes Component 1 out of the Component out sockets (connected to INPUT 3 of a Pio 434) and plays the digital stream coming in through Optical IN 1. It also tells the Plasma to switch to INPUT3. Saves a lot of hastle I can tell you.

I paid 300 for my 1014 as it had just been superceded. I'm very happy with it. ( best price I saw 1015 for was 363 prc online IIRC).

Is it worth going for the bigger amp? The 436 has 2 HDMI inputs, so you don't gain much by using the amp. I'd say no, but its up to you.

6. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Right so it's all starting to fall into place. To be honest I dont really want a 'bigger' amp I just want one with future compatible connectivity.

When you said you press 'the DVD input', is this on the TV or Amp remote? Also because of the setup does the TV remote become redundant and the amp remote its effective replacement?

Last question and this will be the decider for me. If I buy the 1015 (no HDMI switch) and then get Sky HD. I will connect the HDMI to the media box and optical out to the amp, correct? Now what happens when I want to switch to Sky HD, how would I configure it, as it knows nothing about the video signal - would I have to change inputs on both the amp and then the plasma? Or is there another way around it?

I really appreciate your help so far dude :thumbsup:

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Either front panel or receiver's (amp) remote. For everday use you will only need the Pioneer 1015 remote to hand, look at it on the Pioneer website, it has controls printed on it for Plasma.

Yes, HDMI straight to the Media Receiver with Optical or Coaxial digital to the amp. Assign to an input and also learn it to get the Audio coming from your SKY HD and select INPUT3 or INPUT4 on the Pio 436. Simple.

So, no need to switch HDMI, especially when only switching between 2 of the little buggers.

The 436 is really well designed BTW. It has 4 inputs on the rear :

INPUT1 - RGB (via SCART)
    INPUT2 - Component or S-Video (via SCART)
    INPUT3 - RGB (via SCART) or S-Video (via SCART) or HDMI
    INPUT4 - HDMI

So looking to the future:

INPUT1 - ? Anything RGB
    INPUT2 - Component out from 1015 amp (switches 3 component inputs)
    INPUT3 - DVD via HDMI
    INPUT4 - SKY-HD via HDMI

You have freeview built in and not even using an input, of course you connect the Digital Optical from the built in freeview decoder of the 436 to the 1015.

Hope that makes your mind up and glad to be of assistance. I love my Pioneer amp. I biwire the fronts for my 5.1 setup as 7.1 is rarely used today in 98% of viewing/listening.

8. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If you were local, I would invite you over for a drink!

I think you have not only made my mind up, but also saved me £200 :)

Is an SR+ cable compulsory to assign inputs and let the reciever control the plasma?

Also, do you have any lip sync issues with your plasma - does the reciever offer audio delay for both DVD and other sources?

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thats OK, others have helped me, just doing my bit etc etc.

The SR+ cable switches the Plasma to the correct input for the source you select on the amp. Not really necessary but damn handy I can tell ya!

Also, when you change mode on the amp, e.g. DD Normal to DD THX, it opens a box on the plasma to tell you. When you change the amp volume, a status bar with volume % appears on the Plasma.

So, if you are spending that type of dosh on an amp & plasma, why not get a < 10 quid cable to get that extra functionality.

If you do need the SR+ cable, my mate is a TV repair bloke, so he can make you one up. (will cost you mind, parts and soldering time don't grow on trees - I bought him a drink or two ;-)) Its really simple though, parts available from Maplin, etc.

Lip sync : not really, occasionally yes, but probably crap sources to blame.

I'm joining the 436 club myself soon BTW, with a favourable wind etc.

Has the 1015 not some type of dely mechanism for lip-sync built in?

What Hifi give it a pretty poor review, but after many years with a Sony 930 I absolutely love my 1014, so 1015 must be a bit better. ( features I noticed were : 3 component inputs rather than 2 & 1 more optical input i.e. 3 at the back rather than 2).

10. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Your right it did get a poor review in What Hi Fi but on the other hand, What Cinema Choice gave it 4.5* and Best Buy!!

Link here: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6083

Does your amp have a function to compensate for Lip Sync, because 1015 has Auto Surround Set-Up Delay whereas the AX2 has Auto Surround Set-Up Delay and 6 frame/0.1 frame step delay whatever that is ?! I just want to be able to compensate on lip sync on sources like DVD & Sky if necessary..

I remembered another question (sorry), do you have Sky + is it possible to control the volume with the Sky remote?

11. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No SKY.

No such lip sync delay functionality on my amp. Can't say I have noticed the need for it.

12. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hmm ok - So if you change the volume with the TV remote, does it change the volume on the amp?

13. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No, controls the Plasma speakers only.

However, and I don't have a 436 (yet) you can control STB, DVD, VCR from it.

As I said, you only need the 1015 remote and can leave the plasma remote sitting for 95% use.

14. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cool thanks again dude.

I will PM you regarding the SR leads ;)

Are you going to go the Sky HD route, it will probably be annoying having one remote for channel control and one for the volume.