Question Pioneer VSX-934 7.2 Support of 7.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD (Dolby Atmos)

mhmd4k

I have been using my new 5.1.2 sound system with my pioneer AV receiver almost for 6 months. I downloaded some sample files with Dolby Atmos enabled sound. I tested them on my Linux box and they sounded great. However, recently I noticed that my Linux box actually doesn't support Dolby Atmos. So I realized that what I was listening wasn't really Dolby Atmos. After spending hours of research and trial and errors I was finally able to enable passthrough in Kodi to get my AV receiver handle Dolby stuff.

So I tried to watch a DTS movie using passthrough mechanism. It was successful. Because I could see a red DTS icon in my AV receiver panel. Also, when I pressed "Surr" button on the remote, it started navigating between different DTS scenes such as drama, action, etc.

Next I tried to play a few sample videos with Dolby Atmos 5.1. These files were shown in Kodi as "Doby". I could see a red dolby sign showing up on my AV receiver. After pressing "surr" button on the remote, I could switch between different mode, while label on the screen said "Dolby Atmos/DD+". So I was very pleased.

However, I tried to watch 7.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD, marked as Dolby HD in Kodi), I can see the red Dolby sign in my AV receiver, but when I press on the "Surr" button in remote control, it only displays the label as "Surround Dolby DD", when selecting different modes. I see no sign of Atmos with these 7.1 Digial TrueHD files.

Pioneer VSX-934 claims that it supports Dolby Digital TrueHD on the website:
Specification | VSX-934 | AV Receivers | Products | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

Also, my HDMI cable claims the same, even though it's HDMI 2.0: Amazon product
I'm now very confused what's happening now. I can clearly see that the AV receiver is receiving the signal using passthrough settings in Kodi, however, not too sure why it's not displaying Atmos info. I checked the firmware version and it is the latest version too.

Any idea what's going on with my setup?

Damp Squid

Are you sure the file from Kodi are in Atmos. An Atmos soundtrack is 7.1 with Atmos metadata that the receiver decodes.

When you press the "surr" button, i think you are using the Dolby Surround upmixer, which will expand the sound to the available speakers.

You can check if you are passing Atmos by playing an Atmos Blu ray or a suitable stream.

The HDMI cable you are using is fine for what you are trying to achieve.

mhmd4k

Yes, I'm sure those videos are true Atmos. Some of them are based on Dolby Digital+. When I play them, I see a red dolby sign in receiver and pressing "Surr" to go through different modes, clearly shows Atmos. However, the ones on Dolby TrueHD are still displaying as Dolby Digital+.

I just realized the connection between my computer and my monitor is using an HDMI 2.0 cable. I believe the cable that connects my computer to AV receiver is using 1.4, which is probably not capable of transmitting Dolby TrueHD data. I just ordered HDMI 2.1 cable. Hopefully that will resolve my issue.

mhmd4k

Sadly Dolby TrueHD 7.1 didn't work with the new HDMI cable, that supports 8K and eARC, either.

EDIT: After doing a bit more of research, I noticed there's a problem with Nvidia drivers on Linux. I was using QHD on my monitor to test this. After reducing the resolution to 1080p, I was able to get Atmos through Dolby TrueHD 7.1 working. Luckily my projector is 1080p. So I don't need 4K support for now.

Last edited:

Romster1

I have been using my new 5.1.2 sound system with my pioneer AV receiver almost for 6 months. I downloaded some sample files with Dolby Atmos enabled sound. I tested them on my Linux box and they sounded great. However, recently I noticed that my Linux box actually doesn't support Dolby Atmos. So I realized that what I was listening wasn't really Dolby Atmos. After spending hours of research and trial and errors I was finally able to enable passthrough in Kodi to get my AV receiver handle Dolby stuff.

So I tried to watch a DTS movie using passthrough mechanism. It was successful. Because I could see a red DTS icon in my AV receiver panel. Also, when I pressed "Surr" button on the remote, it started navigating between different DTS scenes such as drama, action, etc.

Next I tried to play a few sample videos with Dolby Atmos 5.1. These files were shown in Kodi as "Doby". I could see a red dolby sign showing up on my AV receiver. After pressing "surr" button on the remote, I could switch between different mode, while label on the screen said "Dolby Atmos/DD+". So I was very pleased.

However, I tried to watch 7.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD, marked as Dolby HD in Kodi), I can see the red Dolby sign in my AV receiver, but when I press on the "Surr" button in remote control, it only displays the label as "Surround Dolby DD", when selecting different modes. I see no sign of Atmos with these 7.1 Digial TrueHD files.

Pioneer VSX-934 claims that it supports Dolby Digital TrueHD on the website:
Specification | VSX-934 | AV Receivers | Products | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

Also, my HDMI cable claims the same, even though it's HDMI 2.0: Amazon product
I'm now very confused what's happening now. I can clearly see that the AV receiver is receiving the signal using passthrough settings in Kodi, however, not too sure why it's not displaying Atmos info. I checked the firmware version and it is the latest version too.

Any idea what's going on with my setup?
not sure if you got this sorted but if not. you need to go into the settingsand enable virtualisation because you've only got a 5.1 speaker setup so it will have to virtualise the heights once you turn virtualisation on and use kodi to play your demo the audio stream will be passed through to the avr to decode and it will display Atmos oress the i button it will be indicated there too..

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's no such thing as Dolby Atmos 5.1. Atmos is an object based format and not channel based. It is fascilitated by the inclusion of Atmos metadata packaged with either Dolby Digital Plus or TRueHD encoded audio.

You'd need at least 2 height, upward firing or ceiling speakers within a setup in order to be able to portray Atmos. You cannot portray Atmos via a conventional 5.1 or 7.1 speaker layout. The AV receiver itself has to be Atmos enabled.

If an Atmos enabled AV receiver is playing Atmos then it will state Atmos on its display. If it doesn't then it isn't. Do not apply any additionalional upmixing modes to Atmos soundtracks. Doing so will negate the Atmos metadata and simply result in you getting the channel based DD+ or TrueHD encoded audio the metadata was packaged with subject to the upmoxing mode you'd engaged. THe only exception to this will be if applying Dolby Surround upmixing. DSU is negated by the presence of Atmos metadata and wouldn't be in effect if Atmos metadata is detected.

HDMI cables are not catagorized by HDMI version and HDMI versions only apply to hardware and not cables. All you'd need is a cabkle rated HIGH SPEED, preferably one inclusive of ethernet channel compliance. THe cable type wouldn't restrict the types of audio you can access via it.

The Pioneer VSX-934 is both Atmos and DTS:X enabled, but you'd need a 5.1.2 speaker layout and configuration if wanting to portray Atmos. A conventional 7.1 layout isn't able to pot=rtray Atmos and neither would a 5.1 layout sans the 2 additional height speakers.

The receiver does include virtualisation processing that can be used to create 2 virtual Atmos and or DTS:X effects speakers in conjunction with a 5.1 physical setup:

Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization* and DTS Virtual:X*

When playing any Dolby format, engaging the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer enables a more immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect from traditional speaker layouts without employing additional surround or height speakers.
* Function available with future firmware update

With DTS Virtual:X, you can enjoy a three-dimensional immersive sound similar to DTS:X, without the need of height or rear speakers. The technology supports 2 to 7.1.4-channel input source, for delivery on 2 to 5.1 or even 7.1-channel speaker layout. DTS Virtual:X works with all DTS codecs, including DTS:X.

I'd personally suggest installing actual physical effects speakers rather than relying upon virtual representations of them.

Romster1

absolutely virtualisation will never beat actual speakers. btw dante01 my post wasnt suggesting that it would but it does explain how to actually get the Op's avr to recognise that the content which he is trying to play is actually Atmos. Hes been trying different cables and kodi settings and even checked the firmware so my suggestion will satisfy what hes looking for.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom